92 springs different than 93+? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up some low mileage springs from C-Dan's rig along with some other parts to try and improve my 92's ride quality. Well, the springs are different. There are one fewer coils on the 93's all the way around then the ones I'm taking off. Plus my 92's appear to be longer.

Free lengths of the 93's.
RF - 19 3/16" 7 coils
LF - 18 7/8" 7 coils
RR - 18 3/16" 6 coils
LR - 18 3/4 6 coils

I have not measured my 92 fronts yet but here are the rears
RF - 8 coils
LF - 8 coils
RR - 19 1/8 7 coils 15/16" longer
LR - 19 3/8 7 coils 10/16" longer

Everything I've read says the springs are the same 91- 97. What gives? Mine appear to be OEM. Bottom coils have 2 green dots and the one above has 1 yellow dot. No other dots and I cleaned them off thoroughly to check. The 93 has three sets of dots on both the front and rear. No shims in the spring seat of my 92 rears. It's sitting on jack stands now so please help!

OME springs are the same 91-97, the do have different rates and lifts of course. OEM springs vary between years. The paint is used to identify them on the assembly line. I do not have anything that identifies the spring rates for OEM springs but I do know that they will physically fit. It is likely that the rate may be a bit different.

Since you have the rears out, stick the 93's in and put it back down on the ground to see if you have a low rider.

I might do that. However, I did not have the where-with-all to measure before hand ( no idea the original height). Wife's already grumpy with the time I've spent on it today.

Mmmm... swapped in the 93 springs and measured the heights off the inside of the rear fender flares. Yah, I know it's not that great of reference but it's the same vehicle same spot etc...should work for a spring to spring comparison. Bounced it and let it settle a few times too.

93 springs:

RR 34 3/8"
LR 34 3/4"

92 springs

RR 34 5/8"
LR 35 1/8"
RF 34 1/8"
LF 34 1/2"

FYI Tires are 265/75-16 Goodyear Wrangers

Since the difference in free-length is greater than the compressed height difference, I would think that the 93 springs may be a bit stiffer.

I would sure think so. With one less coil the overall spring rate would have to be higher. Anyways, I got off track on brakes and I still have to get the front struts in. I'll get the OEM struts in and see if the ride improves. One front is missing the original washers and has some generic ones in there so.... I guess I'll give Dan a call on Monday.

Not sure if you're taking the right path for better ride quality. The 92 we had was IMHO the best ride in terms of smoothness of any year LC I've been in. When we swapped to the '93 the next year, it handled better but at the cost of a stiffer ride. There are significant weight differences as well, and another issue that jumps out at me is the factory '92 shocks are not properly matched to the newer springs. You may or may not have better luck with newer shocks vs new 92 shocks. A careful examination of the damping rates of the various 93-97 factory shocks compared to the 92s might be useful.

Doug

Entirely possible. I got OEM shocks from Dan. I was pleasantly supprised that they are Tokiko shocks. Quick drive around the block would indicate a much better ride now that the POC shocks that were on there (guess is US built Gabriels from the markings). 92 springs are still on the truck. I pulled the 92's and started to put the 93's and noticed there were less coils and the cause of my post yesterday. Went ahead and put the 93's in, measured, pulled them and put the 92's in and measured them. Left the 92's in.

Typically, more coils for a given height does give a smoother ride. This is not necessarily what I'm after. I'm a bit used to a stiff ride. My Chrylser/Mitsu runs on Eibach ERS/Ground Control coil overs and have used the Suspension Techniques springs too. I'm running 8" 400Ibs fronts and 375 rears but am planning on 7" springs with a bit heavier spring. In my Saab I've been through quite a few springs (spax, saab aero, cd) including several iterations of cutting OEM springs. It turned out the issue was with the Heavy duty Bilsteins I'm running. Now that is a stiff ride.

Anyways, the issue with the vehicle is it's instability both in straight running and in cornering. I,m running a MAF 30mm front bar now as mine was missing. This helped in the cornering a bit. We'll see how the shocks do. I don't recall Dan even asking what year on the shocks. Dan any difference in shock years?

The shocks I provided were for your year model. There are three or four different OEM part numbers for 91-97 80's. Toyota does not provide ANY information about them other than "this part number applies to this production range" Short of arranging some sort of comparitive test with fancy measuring devices I don't know how you could tell them apart. They all look identical to me. :-\

Interesting! Would you mind posting what years correspond to which parts? I'd be curious if the fronts interchange years differently than do the rears.

isn't there a difference in length between left and right too?
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom