92 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I have a few random questions to ask the group.

1. Can anyone recommend a shop for getting some rusty rockers taken care of in the Charlotte area?

2. It's time to rebuild my front (and probably rear) axles. I've looked at Cruiser outfitters for a rebuild kit. Any recommended must haves or definitely replace this and that while I'm in there?

3. Has anyone mounted a Midland MXT400? If so, where did you put this monster!

Thanks in advance, this community is awesome!

As far as the front end rebuild if you order the full kit with wheel bearings you’ll be set. However it is a perfect time to go ahead and do any brake work you may need. Be ready to either have your rotors turned or have new rotors on hand and possible caliper rebuild or replacement while it’s all apart.

As far as the front end rebuild if you order the full kit with wheel bearings you’ll be set. However it is a perfect time to go ahead and do any brake work you may need. Be ready to either have your rotors turned or have new rotors on hand and possible caliper rebuild or replacement while it’s all apart.
Excellent idea. I will definitely look into that as well. Thanks!

NAPA calipers are great replacements if you need them. They’re also only about $50 each for fronts. I think it’s the Eclipse model? I forgot. @FrackMacker was installing some today

Just ask cruiser outfitters if there’s anything else you should be considering and do what they tell you. They won’t steer you wrong.

If you want to upgrade the front brakes, you can fit FZJ80 front rotors and calipers on the front. Just have to trim the backing plate to clear the larger rotors. But this will only work if you have a larger diameter wheel on it. If you're still running the 15", then stick with 92 rotors and calipers. You'd need 16s to clear the larger setup.

I'll also second @JohnVee on the NAPA calipers. They are excellent units if you need replacements. Every one I replace is with a NAPA unit.

Hey everyone,

My radiator decided to blow going up 85. Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'm looking at a 3 row all aluminum now. Going to do the thermostat and hoses for it as well.

I also started having a cold start issue a couple weeks ago. Along with an erratically behaving temp gauge. For the temp gauge I started with the temp sender and that didn't fix the problem. Don't know if its tied to the cold start issue or if my cluster is bad. For the cold start, would it be worth the money to start with the cold start sensor? Or is there somewhere else to start?

Thanks!

20210917_165635.jpg

You’ll get another 30 years from an OEM radiator. Twice the price of the options but far fewer people have had bad ones out of the box. Time saved replacing a new one is money on the bank to me.

I can’t help you with the other issues.

You’ll get another 30 years from an OEM radiator. Twice the price of the options but far fewer people have had bad ones out of the box. Time saved replacing a new one is money on the bank to me.

I can’t help you with the other issues.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll look into an OEM as well.

Hey everyone,

My radiator decided to blow going up 85. Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'm looking at a 3 row all aluminum now. Going to do the thermostat and hoses for it as well.

I also started having a cold start issue a couple weeks ago. Along with an erratically behaving temp gauge. For the temp gauge I started with the temp sender and that didn't fix the problem. Don't know if its tied to the cold start issue or if my cluster is bad. For the cold start, would it be worth the money to start with the cold start sensor? Or is there somewhere else to start?

Thanks!

View attachment 2791621
In the fj62’s the fuel gauge would go bad and it was tied to the temp gauge which would go haywire and look like you were over heating when you weren’t. Not sure I’m this case that is the same issue but in my 62 I just ended up doing a secondary temp gauge from summit and an oil pressure one with it.

In the fj62’s the fuel gauge would go bad and it was tied to the temp gauge which would go haywire and look like you were over heating when you weren’t. Not sure I’m this case that is the same issue but in my 62 I just ended up doing a secondary temp gauge from summit and an oil pressure one with it.
That's interesting. I'll see if I can figure out that angle as well. Thanks!

Thats a grounding issue. You need to clean all of the terminals on the guages. Should work right after that.

TYC1918 Radiator from RockAuto. The Arizona guys use them and love them. It's thicker than OEM, Koyo, Denso and dirt cheap. Will it last as long as OEM? probably not but I can buy two for the price of one OEM. Be aware that some have come damaged from the factory. RockAuto is good about sending a replacement.

TYC1918 Radiator from RockAuto. The Arizona guys use them and love them. It's thicker than OEM, Koyo, Denso and dirt cheap. Will it last as long as OEM? probably not but I can buy two for the price of one OEM. Be aware that some have come damaged from the factory. RockAuto is good about sending a replacement.
won't work for his 92, different radiator.

Update.

I ended up going with an aluminum (Liland 1469AA3R) radiator, oem belts and hoses, thermostat, and replaced the water temp sensor and sender on the bottom of the thermostat housing. This fixed my cold start issue and my temp gauge issue. Turns out the sensor and sender were bad/broken.

So far the new radiator has performed well. I did put an oem radiator cap on it. It was delivered with a little deformation on each side from shipping. Made a couple spacers when I installed it and that put the mount holes where they needed to be.

Definitely learned a lot on this swap. Next up are breaks. And maybe a service manual of some sort.

20211230_173500.jpg

20211230_150513.jpg

20211230_120145.jpg

20211228_140636.jpg

Soooo my transmission died on me today. Lost power going down the road and none of the gears work. Won't even engage park. After looking at it in a parking lot it was very hot as well.

Anyone suggest a shop in the Charlotte area. Research suggests H&H, toyota tech, and autoworks.

Thanks in advance for yalls input!

Soooo my transmission died on me today. Lost power going down the road and none of the gears work. Won't even engage park. After looking at it in a parking lot it was very hot as well.

Anyone suggest a shop in the Charlotte area. Research suggests H&H, toyota tech, and autoworks.

Thanks in advance for yalls input!
Any updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom