92 FJ80 with locking hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I apologize in advance for this really dumb question, however through the process of redoing my 92, I've found many things the PO changed that made no sense. I'm in the process of rebuilding the Birfields and the outer spindle assembly has manual locking hubs and no cone washers. I noticed during disassembly that it didn't have the notorious cone washers and I assumed the PO lost or forgot so I ordered a set. It is a tight interference fit and cone washers do not fit. Since this rig is a full time all wheel drive, what benefit is had from the manual lockers?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I have a part time kit with manual locking hubs AND cone washers...

A picture might help the community.

It could be the other owner started the process to part time and never completed the transfer-case, I don't think warn hubs I used to have on my truck had cone washers. Are they asian hubs?

'91 and '92's don't have a viscous coupler, so they don't necessarily need a part time kit (from what I have gathered reading here on mud). My '91 came with just locking hubs and no kit that I am aware of.
With the hubs unlocked, your 80 won't move until you lock the center differential.

'91 and '92's don't have a viscous coupler, so they don't necessarily need a part time kit (from what I have gathered reading here on mud). My '91 came with just locking hubs and no kit that I am aware of.
Not exactly. They are still full-time 4wd, usually have drive flanges (not locking hubs), unless they are non-US spec part-time 4wd. The viscous coupler has nothing to do with hubs, it's a traction aid when true 4wd isn't required.

If you want part-time 4wd in a 91-92 (US spec), you need hubs and the rest of the part-time kit.

I apologize in advance for this really dumb question, however through the process of redoing my 92, I've found many things the PO changed that made no sense. I'm in the process of rebuilding the Birfields and the outer spindle assembly has manual locking hubs and no cone washers. I noticed during disassembly that it didn't have the notorious cone washers and I assumed the PO lost or forgot so I ordered a set. It is a tight interference fit and cone washers do not fit. Since this rig is a full time all wheel drive, what benefit is had from the manual lockers?

If the truck moves with the front hubs unlocked (without the center differential lock engaged), it either has a part-time 4wd kit installed, or it's a non-US-spec part-time 4wd from the factory. If it doesn't move, someone just put the hubs on and they are pretty much useless.

Last edited:
True. Just addressing that if you have manual hubs it is not a requirement that a part-time kit be installed and as Jon Held said it can be driven with hubs unlocked but with CDL engaged. I have just read that on '91 and '92 it should not be an issue driving it with hubs unlocked and CDL engaged, but can be an issue with '93 and above due to viscous coupler possibly being damaged from this (or something like that). Either way with the original poster's current setup there is no real special advantage to the manual hubs but it shouldn't hurt much either (i.e. no real benefits other than looks without getting too technical). I prefer normal AWD driving experience myself.

There would be no difference between 91-92 and 93-97. The viscous coupler acts similar to a limited slip diff. In both models if the hubs are unlocked the CDL must be locked. CDL unlocked in 91-92 models there is no power transmitted to the rear, no movement of the vehicle In 93-97 models there will be some power transmitted to the rear when the viscous coupler starts in action there will be some movement of the vehicle but that can burn up the coupler in short order so always lock the CDL.

So....
...does it move with everything unlocked?

Yes, it moves with the CDL disengaged and with the hubs disengaged. I just redid the Birfields this week-end and after inspection of the transfer case, it appears that a PO has been in there (excessive amounts of gasket sealant dried around the edges), but the test drive after the Birfields went fine. The locking hub brand is "AVM" out of Brasil. So based on what I'm seeing in the responses, it appears that a part time kit may have been installed? Ughhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom