92 FJ80 Ticking Lifter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought this particular cruiser a few months ago and there's a lifter tick and it drives me nuts. Any ideas on how to get rid of it are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Have you adjusted the valves? Could be a valve set too loosely. The best way to do so is with the engine running. You will probably need a valve cover gasket if it hasn't been replaced recently.

Same issue in my 97; is there a write up on adjusting valves?

My '93 ticks on a cold start for a few seconds, IIRC it's not abnormal for that to happen. Neither the 3FE or the 1FZ are quiet, both let the surrounding area know when they crank to life.

93 to 97 1FZ's need shims to adjust the valves. The 91 and 92 3FE's and older 2F's use a screwdriver and a 14mm wrench to adjust. These can be adjusted with the engine running. On the 3FE's the only ticking that should be heard is the injectors. Setting the valves with the engine running is the best way to insure quiet valves. I've even been questioned before if the engine was running on some of my FJ40's because they are so quiet without the injectors.

The 3FE gets that sound from the sewing machine side of the family. (For the newbs: the 3FE is accused of being the off spring of a sewing machine and a tractor).

I was told I have a "lifter slap" or a "knock" 23 years ago when my 92 was a year old. She sounds the same today as she did then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom