92 FJ80… Questions from a FJ62 owner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was super hesitant about buying it, and if I would enjoy this thing… I just never really had a soft spot, nor experienced, an 80.

I was VERY wrong about ANY preconceived notions… it’s awesome. I’ve been driving it everyday for the past few weeks, and I am blown away.

We finally had a weekend without rain in New Orleans, so I decided to take my 69 FJ40 out for some air. Lol by Sunday, I was starting to miss the 80… My 40 is a bit of a death trap at the moment - no headlamps, blinkers, etc.

The only qualm I’m having with the 80, is the sunroof. It was garage kept by POIs… and the old sunroof was no match for May in New Orleans. 100% sunroof leak.

Need to figure out if I can make some sort of aftermarket gasket/weatherstrip, which creates a solid seal… or spend way to much money trying to find a new (old stock) run roof glass.
The seal comes mounted to the glass on a NEW sunroof glass.

You need to flush and clean the sunroof drains and make sure the hoses are still attached in the corners. (Do NOT use compressed air to clean!)
There's also the bicycle inner tube fix.
There's the magnetic sheet giant band-aid fix.
There's rebuild your complete sunroof and reinstall it fix.
There's the caulk it shut because I'm done with it fix.
There's the remove the sunroof completely and weld a panel in the hole and repaint fix.

With the 92, the headliner is hard to R/R due to the design.
The 95+ have a molded fiberglass headliner (you can swap if you get a COMPLETE set from a wrecked truck) and can be easily dropped to access the sunroof.

The seal comes mounted to the glass on a NEW sunroof glass.

You need to flush and clean the sunroof drains and make sure the hoses are still attached in the corners. (Do NOT use compressed air to clean!)
There's also the bicycle inner tube fix.
There's the magnetic sheet giant band-aid fix.
There's rebuild your complete sunroof and reinstall it fix.
There's the caulk it shut because I'm done with it fix.
There's the remove the sunroof completely and weld a panel in the hole and repaint fix.

With the 92, the headliner is hard to R/R due to the design.
The 95+ have a molded fiberglass headliner (you can swap if you get a COMPLETE set from a wrecked truck) and can be easily dropped to access the sunroof.
If I can find a brand new glass, I might go that route… checked the drains (used very light compressed air and weed wacker line).

The drains drain the water beautifully, but they can’t keep up with south Louisiana’s torrential downpours… water fills up on the side troughs, and ends up flowing underneath the 90 degree plastic corner pieces (left and right) that sit at the end of the tracks.

I was hoping to find some sort of aftermarket stripping, like a 3M kit… but due to the way the sunroof opens and clothes, and the back kicks up to vent, I don’t think anything would work without obstructing.

If I can find a brand new glass, I might go that route… checked the drains (used very light compressed air and weed wacker line).

The drains drain the water beautifully, but they can’t keep up with south Louisiana’s torrential downpours… water fills up on the side troughs, and ends up flowing underneath the 90 degree plastic corner pieces (left and right) that sit at the end of the tracks.

I was hoping to find some sort of aftermarket stripping, like a 3M kit… but due to the way the sunroof opens and clothes, and the back kicks up to vent, I don’t think anything would work without obstructing.

The reason is the drains were never designed to remove all that water. The kick panel pockets will fill up if enough volume of water is introduced. This is by design. The overflow is into the rocker panel from the kick panel pocket.

The permanent fix is to replace the OEM front drain tubes with OEM rear drain tubes, and route them through one of the two holes in the bottom of the kick panel pockets, that are currently filled with the fender body screws. Two is belt and suspenders; drill one out so the tube will fit through. This is what Toyota did on the GX470/460; look under one behind the front wheel and you'll see what I mean.

The downside is, as @BILT4ME noted above, the headliner on the 1st gen 80s is glued in place. That makes it a PITA to get to the sunroof, but it is doable. New glass is available for the 1st gen, but it's not cheap.

The reason is the drains were never designed to remove all that water. The kick panel pockets will fill up if enough volume of water is introduced. This is by design. The overflow is into the rocker panel from the kick panel pocket.

The permanent fix is to replace the OEM front drain tubes with OEM rear drain tubes, and route them through one of the two holes in the bottom of the kick panel pockets, that are currently filled with the fender body screws. Two is belt and suspenders; drill one out so the tube will fit through. This is what Toyota did on the GX470/460; look under one behind the front wheel and you'll see what I mean.

The downside is, as @BILT4ME noted above, the headliner on the 1st gen 80s is glued in place. That makes it a PITA to get to the sunroof, but it is doable. New glass is available for the 1st gen, but it's not cheap.
I definitely want to fix it the correct way - the truck is in too good of shape not to do so.

I am a little confused about what you’re saying… So basically I would order 2 new rear drain tubes, and pull them up through the bottom to the top? I’d rather belt and suspenders.

Can I buy a newer model headliner and have it redone at an upholstery shop? If so, wouldn’t that make this operation a lot easier?

Anyone know where I can hunt down a new old stock glass? Also any part numbers would help (tubes etc).

Once I fix this sunroof, all that’s really left is to replace all the blown cabin speakers - there’s some weird sizes, and there are like
9 speakers?

I definitely want to fix it the correct way - the truck is in too good of shape not to do so.

I am a little confused about what you’re saying… So basically I would order 2 new rear drain tubes, and pull them up through the bottom to the top? I’d rather belt and suspenders.

Can I buy a newer model headliner and have it redone at an upholstery shop? If so, wouldn’t that make this operation a lot easier?

Anyone know where I can hunt down a new old stock glass? Also any part numbers would help (tubes etc).

Once I fix this sunroof, all that’s really left is to replace all the blown cabin speakers - there’s some weird sizes, and there are like
9 speakers?
Yes, you'll have to rework the headliner. It might come down well, and just need to be glued back in place, or it might fall apart. You won't know until you try, but it would pay to be prepared for the worst. I'd talk to a shop before I did the work.

The rear drains are NLA; you'll have to find a donor truck. The 100 series also work. I tried diligently to pull them up; I failed miserably. I pulled both down in ten minutes. Leave a fishline in place when you pull the old ones out. There's some kind of inartful sheetmetal placement halfway up the A-pillar that prevents the tube from going up; it slides right past going down, though.

Both holes in the lower fender lip have weld nuts on the inside of the kickpanel void they communicate with. One of them has to be drilled out. Both of mine broke loose before I could get them completely drilled out, requiring me to fish them out with a magnet and my usb fiberoptic camera.

Check PartSouq and Amayama for glass. Toyota constantly replaces the stock they have, so what appears out of stock (or NLA) this week will show up the next. You can still get the 1str gen sunroof. It'll have the new seal glued in place.

The speakers were made for the holes they are mounted into. You likely won't find exact replacements (I haven't). There are planty of good aftermarket speakers that can be made to work. The front door panel speakers are the worst to replace well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom