92 FJ80… Questions from a FJ62 owner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
I am buying a 92 FJ80… I‘ve owned FJ62s - did a serious restomod on one, in the midst of a refreshstoration on another, and about to start a complete BOF restoration on a 69 FJ40.

I have a pretty firm grasp on FJ62s… Out of curiosity - With the 92 FJ80, am I basically just buying another FJ62 that has coil overs, an 80s series body, and all wheel drive?

Were there any other mechanical upgrades to the first Gen 80s? Sensors? Cooling? Trans (AWD of course)? Etc? I’m guessing with stock gearing, I need to stick with 31s (just like on a FJ62)?

Just want to know if I should be looking at the vehicle with different eyes, or should I be looking at it just like an FJ62?

What are some problematic areas to inspect on the 80 series bodies, as well as any mechanical concerns that differ from a 62?

Any info / advice would be great.
Thanks all!

Not much for engine upgrades for the 3FE- but it doesn't need it (as you already know). Desmog, timing advance, etc. I also upgraded my A440F valve body (by far the best bang for your buck) regearing, etc. It pulls grade with no problems even on 37s, beadlocks, armors, etc.
I have zero complaints for what it intended for.

The 80 series body doesn't rust near as readily as a 62. Look for rust around the glass, and the bottom of the rear quarter panels. Replacement interior parts are much harder to find for 91s and 92s.
Yea, will for sure check quarters, wheel wells and all the usual suspects.

It has a sunroof - I don’t think 80s are as prone to roof/pillar corrosion like the 60s (gutters)… little worried about sunroof gasket/drains clogs, and rust around the sunroof glass.

I’m pretty sure it was repainted (original color), which could be a plus of a minus. My hope is that the PO did a refinish restoration, the right way, and everything was de-trimmed and rubbers were changed etc.

It has low miles and the carfax report has a ton of service records, which all had mileage reported.

How about leaks? FJ62s are famous for slow leaks, rear main seals etc.

What’s the difference in the drive train in the 80? I know it’s AWD… center differential? Torque converter is the same?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to educate myself.

Also - it does seem like a pretty cherry vehicle, that someone thoroughly kept up. Interior is immaculate… refinish appears to be also.

The FJ62s and the FJ80s were both sort of transformative, yet in-between, short lived models. It’s hard to gauge the price on anything right now… Comps on clean first gen 80s with low miles are proving super hard to find. Any guesses?

Also - it does seem like a pretty cherry vehicle, that someone thoroughly kept up. Interior is immaculate… refinish appears to be also.

The FJ62s and the FJ80s were both sort of transformative, yet in-between, short lived models. It’s hard to gauge the price on anything right now… Comps on clean first gen 80s with low miles are proving super hard to find. Any guesses?
I would consider sub 200k miles for the 3-FE as relatively low mileage.

The 3FE is almost identical between the F62 and FJ80. Notable exceptions are the ECU, coil/igniter, which leads to a different plug gap, the power steering pump, and some minor positional differences. There are some wiring differences as well.

The A440F is also basically the same with a different output shaft and different transfer case. Obviously the 4WD system is very different, but it works exceptionally well.

Last edited:
Yea, will for sure check quarters, wheel wells and all the usual suspects.

It has a sunroof - I don’t think 80s are as prone to roof/pillar corrosion like the 60s (gutters)… little worried about sunroof gasket/drains clogs, and rust around the sunroof glass.

I’m pretty sure it was repainted (original color), which could be a plus of a minus. My hope is that the PO did a refinish restoration, the right way, and everything was de-trimmed and rubbers were changed etc.

It has low miles and the carfax report has a ton of service records, which all had mileage reported.

How about leaks? FJ62s are famous for slow leaks, rear main seals etc.

What’s the difference in the drive train in the 80? I know it’s AWD… center differential? Torque converter is the same?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to educate myself.
The transfer case is completely different. They leak everywhere. If it has low miles, chances are once you start driving it leaks will show up. I've been seeing 3fe 80s selling for 10k and more. Honestly I would go for a 93 or newer for a little more money. You get a lot more good stuff. Dohc, aluminum head, 50 more horsepower, 4 wheel disc brakes, full float rear axle, abs brakes, interior parts that are much easier to match up, and ability to add forced induction. The 1fz is both more complicated than a 3fe in some ways, and simpler in others. Really it totally all depends on what you personally want to do with your money. All 80 series cruisers are cool in my opinion. But some are better suited depending on individual preference.

Last edited:
The transfer case is completely different. They leak everywhere. If it has low miles, chances are once you start driving it leaks will show up. I've been seeing 3fe 80s selling for 10k and more. Honestly I would go for a 93 or newer for a little more money. You get a lot more good stuff. Dohc, aluminum head, 50 more horsepower, 4 wheel disc brakes, full float rear axle, abs brakes, interior parts that are much easier to match up, and ability to add forced induction. The 1fz is both more complicated than a 3fe in some ways, and more complicated in others. Really it totally all depends on what you personally want to do with your money. All 80 series cruisers are cool in my opinion. But some are better suited depending on individual preference.

I’ve got a sub 100k 92 - very similar to a 91 I had years ago (and kicked myself for selling) and paid well north of 10 (in 2018). Market has run up quite a bit and wondering if we might see some correction, but cherry examples are only getting harder and harder to find (have seen north of 20 for low miles).
Having a solid interior is a good thing - the cloth interior for 91s and 92s is extremely durable but pricey to try and replace. some items are still available NOS (though more in the gray than in the oak) - or at least that is what I was seeing a couple of years ago.
Full time 4wd is a burden for the 3fe, but I have no complaints, it does the job just fine (mine runs 33s and it desmogged). One dif in the 62 is the plastic radiator vs metal. My plastic only just gave up the ghost, though, and metal replacements were readily available

I’ve got a sub 100k 92 - very similar to a 91 I had years ago (and kicked myself for selling) and paid well north of 10 (in 2018). Market has run up quite a bit and wondering if we might see some correction, but cherry examples are only getting harder and harder to find (have seen north of 20 for low miles).
Having a solid interior is a good thing - the cloth interior for 91s and 92s is extremely durable but pricey to try and replace. some items are still available NOS (though more in the gray than in the oak) - or at least that is what I was seeing a couple of years ago.
Full time 4wd is a burden for the 3fe, but I have no complaints, it does the job just fine (mine runs 33s and it desmogged). One dif in the 62 is the plastic radiator vs metal. My plastic only just gave up the ghost, though, and metal replacements were readily available

Decided to make a move.

8073EC2D-B1ED-4D96-AAF4-B88C854C53AA.jpeg

21DA20EC-95AB-424D-B736-C95F8A5AADB2.jpeg

:cheers: enjoy

Also, AC condenser instead of a conversion kit…

Do you have a link to radiator?

Also think I want to put a new condenser in and trans cooker, possibly an oil cooler - noticed the oil temp was a little high.
I ran 20w50 I’ve always ran 20w50 in the 62s, because of how hot it gets down here in the summer + it seems to help slow down any leaky seals.

Any recommended immediate upgrades to help save time and heartaches would be very helpful… thanks again

Congrats on the purchase!

The radiator I had installed is the CSF model at rock auto. Has been doing just fine since install

Not much for engine upgrades for the 3FE- but it doesn't need it (as you already know). Desmog, timing advance, etc. I also upgraded my A440F valve body (by far the best bang for your buck) regearing, etc. It pulls grade with no problems even on 37s, beadlocks, armors, etc.
I have zero complaints for what it intended for.
Can you please tell me more about your upgraded A440F valve body? Where do I go about getting such?

Can you please tell me more about your upgraded A440F valve body? Where do I go about getting such?
I got the nomad VB from Cruiser brothers. It came with instructions for the swap. I elected to do the work myself. There are pretty good write-ups on MUD, and it took me about half a day by myself to do the swap, its time consuming, but doable. If you elect to do this upgrade yourself, i can give you more info. on that. Otherwise, you can have a transmission shop do it.

I was super hesitant about buying it, and if I would enjoy this thing… I just never really had a soft spot, nor experienced, an 80.

I was VERY wrong about ANY preconceived notions… it’s awesome. I’ve been driving it everyday for the past few weeks, and I am blown away.

We finally had a weekend without rain in New Orleans, so I decided to take my 69 FJ40 out for some air. Lol by Sunday, I was starting to miss the 80… My 40 is a bit of a death trap at the moment - no headlamps, blinkers, etc.

The only qualm I’m having with the 80, is the sunroof. It was garage kept by POIs… and the old sunroof was no match for May in New Orleans. 100% sunroof leak.

Need to figure out if I can make some sort of aftermarket gasket/weatherstrip, which creates a solid seal… or spend way to much money trying to find a new (old stock) run roof glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom