92 FJ80 Low Water Cut Out - Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is sort of strange so I am hoping it's not a weird wiring issue. 1992 FJ80, 3FE Auto.

The recent rain here in PHX had flooded the intersection near my house and by flooded I mean 8-12" of water on on side of the hump, but the intersection wasn't underwater. When I hit the water, about 15-20 mph(I was turning left and had the green, so I was going about that fast) I felt the power steering tighten up, A/T light came on and it seemed like the truck was gonna die, but I hit the gas and it just seem to snap out of it. Scared me for a moment, but I don't know if I should look for a short or if there is something exposed maybe on the tranny.

Any help is appreciated, Cheers.

This is sort of strange so I am hoping it's not a weird wiring issue. 1992 FJ80, 3FE Auto.

The recent rain here in PHX had flooded the intersection near my house and by flooded I mean 8-12" of water on on side of the hump, but the intersection wasn't underwater. When I hit the water, about 15-20 mph(I was turning left and had the green, so I was going about that fast) I felt the power steering tighten up, A/T light came on and it seemed like the truck was gonna die, but I hit the gas and it just seem to snap out of it. Scared me for a moment, but I don't know if I should look for a short or if there is something exposed maybe on the tranny.

Any help is appreciated, Cheers.
You saw lights on the dash blink because the motor was stalling. I would check the condition of the plug wires and make sure the rubber boot on the distributor is still in place.
Your power steering pump is also belt driven, so if the belts got wet and started to slip, you would feel heavy steering.
Your transmission is also 100% hydraulic. No electrics to be concerned about.
No panic necessary.

make sure the rubber boot on the distributor is still in place.

Yeah, about that rubber boot. Being an Arizona rig I have a feeling it was discarded long ago, so I will be starting there. I guess I didn't realize the boot on the outside would be so important in the event of a strong splash. Are these boots the same as the one on the 2F motors?

Also going to pop the cap and verify there's some sort of o-ring or grease on there. The PO told me he did the plug wires and I can guarantee he didn't spend much. I am beginning to have my doubts about the cap and rotor being new and might as well do it while I'm there.

The 3FE doesn't like aftermarket ignition parts and OEM stuff is just not that much more.
Absolute Wits End has a good 3FE tune up kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom