92 fj80 front axle lateral play? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20210108_173715.jpg
I have a "new" 92 Land cruiser 218k on odo. Chasing a front end vibration.
Work Completed
Front knuckle rebuild
All new ujoints front to back
New tie rod rod and ends
New drag link ends
New pan hard bushings
Fresh brakes rotors turned
New master cylinder, system bleed
Tires are knee deep in tread and have had recent balance
Passenger side is making a popping sound into turns forward or reverse.
New birfields on order.
Question is regarding axle lateral play or travel? What is maximum?
20210108_173704.jpg

I have not replaced either as of yet. New birfields sitting on bench in garage. Should I be replacing drive flange when I replace birfields because of a design update? What is the acceptable tolerances for lateral movement. 1/4 inch of travel cant be good.
Thanks

Those splines look very worn on the birf.

Solved vibration. Recent install of new wheel bearings. Pass side have failed. Assuming worn birfield caused failure? Have not resolved lateral movement of axles. Going to visit local land cruiser shop with a 12 pack and pick his brain before he starts drinking. 🤣

Slow95z called it. Newer style Birfs, old flanges.
I don't know every single thing about them but I have worked on my fair share of slapped together crap and have seen that one a time or three. Glad you got it figured out.

As for the bearings I would vote spindle is worn out unless it wasn't torqued correctly or a part store bearing was used rather than the good stuff from a reputable cruiser shop.

Bearings were ordered from nitro gear, quality seemed ok. Customer service was terrible. Upon disassembly there only thingthat failed was my ability to set preload. Preload corrected bearings in great shape. Another lesson learned with this rig. Checking driver side preload this morning. I bought this rig for pennies on the dollar, But you get what you pay for. It is a slow build, just trying to make it reliable right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom