'92 FJ80 First Post - Blue Ox Base plate for the Rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
This will be my first 'post' here, but it's certainly not my first time here. I have gained a ton of information from all of you guys - thank you all! I'm finally making a post though because 'search' will no longer help me now. My family has been planning a trip out west now for 2 years, and we finally just finished our 6-week trip out. I HATE driving non-souled vehicles, so I picked up a '92 FJ80 to pull behind a (cheap) motorhome I picked up. I've always wanted an FJ80, and I really thought it would be awesome to haul the family around in it when we parked the RV. We did some amazing adventures out there in the FJ, and no one in the family wants me to sell it, but I have to. I have to buy a truck for work, so sadly I have to let my dream be satisfied with the FJ for now.
So you know, there has been a great debate out there about flat towing these things - I am here to say, I am yet another guy that flat towed mine. I towed it 6k miles with zero issues, and tons of fun and thumbs ups along the way. I put the tranny in park, the transfer case in neutral, and away we went.
I will also be selling a blue ox style base plate for the FJ. It'll be over in classifieds. I used a jeep blue ox base plate (since no one makes a base plate for these), then cut and welded it and it tucked in behind the factory bumper, never to be seen, unless I would unscrew the plastic bumper vents, and then insert the blue ox extensions. I used grade 8 bolts and picked up on the captured nuts on the frame right behind the bumper - zero modifications to the FJ. 6k miles later, and we are back home and I'll be selling the blue ox frame.
In case anyone is curious, I also used a blue ox brake in the floor board of the FJ, and I also welded up a frame for it that mounts to the bottom of the seat rail, so I never had to worry about it rattling around and touching the brakes when I didn't want towing brakes applied. I also built a couple brackets so I could mount my 'trailer' lights in the back window of the FJ, so they wouldn't be impacted by wind gusts or anything. I'll be selling all of that, and if anyone wants to make anything similar, reach out and I'll help however I can. You guys have certainly given me tons of info.
A few pics of the Blue Ox style tow bracket, the FJ, and one of the roads we did out west in MOAB. These FJs are everything I thought they would be - tough, dependable, full of soul and life!

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg

Hey guys,
This will be my first 'post' here, but it's certainly not my first time here. I have gained a ton of information from all of you guys - thank you all! I'm finally making a post though because 'search' will no longer help me now. My family has been planning a trip out west now for 2 years, and we finally just finished our 6-week trip out. I HATE driving non-souled vehicles, so I picked up a '92 FJ80 to pull behind a (cheap) motorhome I picked up. I've always wanted an FJ80, and I really thought it would be awesome to haul the family around in it when we parked the RV. We did some amazing adventures out there in the FJ, and no one in the family wants me to sell it, but I have to. I have to buy a truck for work, so sadly I have to let my dream be satisfied with the FJ for now.
So you know, there has been a great debate out there about flat towing these things - I am here to say, I am yet another guy that flat towed mine. I towed it 6k miles with zero issues, and tons of fun and thumbs ups along the way. I put the tranny in park, the transfer case in neutral, and away we went.
I will also be selling a blue ox style base plate for the FJ. It'll be over in classifieds. I used a jeep blue ox base plate (since no one makes a base plate for these), then cut and welded it and it tucked in behind the factory bumper, never to be seen, unless I would unscrew the plastic bumper vents, and then insert the blue ox extensions. I used grade 8 bolts and picked up on the captured nuts on the frame right behind the bumper - zero modifications to the FJ. 6k miles later, and we are back home and I'll be selling the blue ox frame.
In case anyone is curious, I also used a blue ox brake in the floor board of the FJ, and I also welded up a frame for it that mounts to the bottom of the seat rail, so I never had to worry about it rattling around and touching the brakes when I didn't want towing brakes applied. I also built a couple brackets so I could mount my 'trailer' lights in the back window of the FJ, so they wouldn't be impacted by wind gusts or anything. I'll be selling all of that, and if anyone wants to make anything similar, reach out and I'll help however I can. You guys have certainly given me tons of info.
A few pics of the Blue Ox style tow bracket, the FJ, and one of the roads we did out west in MOAB. These FJs are everything I thought they would be - tough, dependable, full of soul and life!

View attachment 3135510

View attachment 3135512

View attachment 3135513

View attachment 3135517

View attachment 3135518

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9916.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom