92' fj80/cummins 4bt swap (tranny problem)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 fj80 and just completed a cummins 4bt swap. I ordered the adapter kit from Jonesy's in order to use the stock A440f transmission. Everything has went great so far until trying to put it in gear. The transmission will not go into gear at all. The transmission was working fine before the swap and the only thing I did was replace the filter and ATF of course. If anybody knows anything...HELP!!!

Naturally you've already checked the obvious like?

ATF level
shift linkage
transfer shift lever not in -N-

Torque converter(new) changed and filled with ATF prior to install. All linkage checked and transmission was not removed at all during swap. Changed trans. Filter and all looked good there(no gunk inside). I am not getting any circulation of ATF at all.

Is the TC bolted to the flywheel? Flywheel and adapter bolted to engine correctly?

Pat

Yes. Everything is bolted up correctly. Someone just told me that the tq converter had to step in three times and it could have damaged the pump if not stepped in correctly. I spun the tq converter until it was all the way in but did not hear clicks or anything. Since I am not getting circulation, I wonder if that is my problem.

Yep ok at this point I am jumping on the bandwagon call Jonesy.

I am usually not an advocate for calling a vendor unless other options have been exhausted but in this case it is a specific procedure for their specific product.

A torque converter not completely engaged with the pump could cause these symptoms, but usually the engine and bellhousing wont go together properly, hinting at a problem. I'm not proud to admit that i've done that more than once...or twice...

Call Jonesy's.

I wonder if it is a spacing issue. When you tightened the TC onto the flywheel, how much of a gap was there? If there was too much of a gap, the TC may have pulled away from the transmission, just enough to disconnect itself from the pump.

Pat

A big "Thank You" to everyone who has replied to my dilemma!! I guess, at this point, I am going to drop the transmission and check the TC and pump. I will let everyone know what the verdict is when I figure this one out.

A big "Thank You" to everyone who has replied to my dilemma!! I guess, at this point, I am going to drop the transmission and check the TC and pump. I will let everyone know what the verdict is when I figure this one out.

No need to drop the trans to see if the converter is pulling out of the pump drive. My advice would be to unbolt the converter from the flex plate and see how much it will push into the transmission. I do not know the exact measurement but it does not take much to mess with things 1/4" rings a bell but would need to contact the adapter manufacturer.

I read somewhere that the adapter kits for the A440 required a A442 bell and converter? Did you get that same kit?

any update?

updates ss. also did you do a write up on the conversion

any update? I am really curious as I want to do the 6bt conversion this upcoming year with some of my income tax return. I have a 1992 too. I would really like to know what the issue was....

Been Busy!

Sorry to all. I have had to put my tc/tranny issue on the back burner for a while...been busy. Now I have dropped my transmission to see what the problem may be. All is looking fine. I don't think the TC was engaging the pump at all. I did not hear any noise coming from the bellhousing/transmission prior to taking it out. After looking inside, I really don't see any damage to the pump. I am going to take some measurements and look at some other things. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free. As for a write up, yes I will do a write up concerning the complete conversion. Thanks to all. Cheers

cool beans! been looking forward to hearing more about this. I spoke with Dustin about a month ago about his take on utilizing the stock A440F and he felt that the newer FJ80 transmissions would be much better suited for the conversion- utilizing an electronic shift controller. The reason that he felt the transmission used post A440F is better is that those transmissions used a much better torque converter and that the fluid system passage ways are larger and provide better coolant capabilities and the shift points can be adjusted with an electronic shift controller. That man has really done his homework on developing the conversion. For me, I think that I am going to take Dustins advice and try to source a newer model transmission and go that route. My original thought was to order the extreme valve body and get the torque converter stall lowered to properly match a diesel and also replace the A440F gas governor with an A440F diesel governor. But, I have heard of people using the stock gas governor A440F tranmissions (with modified torque converters) with diesel engines with no noticeable problems in shift points. I hope you get yours figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom