92 fj80 cd double din (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my cd played died and i would like a factory type to replace it. will any double din out of a toyota fit, plug in easily? is this information true?
1996-2002 4Runner
1991-2001 Camry
1993-1998 Celica
1991-1997 Land Cruiser
1998-2001 Sienna
1996-2003 Tacoma
Most 1989-2002 Toyota vehicles with a double-DIN opening [7" wide by 4" high], including most Tundras, Camrys, Sequoias, Tacomas, 4Runners and Solaras
Most Celicas, MR2s and Land Cruisers produced between 1992-1998.
Selected Corolla models with double-DIN openings (4" X 7" or two 2" X 7" openings)

There are two types of radios, Anti-theft and not. The anti-theft radios like the one you currenty have use a remote power amp. The cruiser harness has both types of plugs present and the amp lives just to the right of the glove box.
The Sequoia and Tundra radios have odd openings as do the Avalons. Your best source would be a 92-97 Camry or 90-97 4runner.

Dan.

CruiserBill,

I know you said you wanted a factory unit to go back with, but consider what I did when mine died... Okay, it was dead when I got it :slap:

I dont' have any pics, but I can take some if anyone would like to see them.

The original space is a double-din opening. You can fit two single-din devices in there with the Toyota bracket. I put an Alpine 9501 AM/FM/CD player and a Cobra 18wxST II CB/weather radio in that space. They fit perfectly!! The Cobra CB is exactly the size of a single-din stereo (2"x7"). I wired the Cobra CB to a constant hot wire and snaked the antenna wire out into the engine compartment through an existing rubber gromet.

It all looks like it all belongs there and the install is CLEAN :D

The Cobra 18wxST II CB/weather radio has a front-firing speaker built in so you don't have to attach an external speaker! It's the perfect accessory for an OEM CD player gone bad! :cheers: I got mine off eBay for $60 used but in perfect condition.

You should really consider this option. You need a CB anyhow don't you? Good luck.

I had all this installed by a stereo shop. They did a great job. Got some new Alpine 6 1/2" speakers installed all around while they were at it too :D It really rocks!!

Jody.

Maybe I'm just getting older but little buttons suck.

I walk through a couple of stereo stores last week looking for an upgrade to the factory tape deck and there were no double DIN units and almost all of them had teeny little buttons that you would need a microscope to see what they do. I also don't understand the logic of buttons for volume instead of a knob. I told the pimply store clerk what I wanted and he shook his head and said I'd have to go mail order....

Anybody know if a radio out of a 98+ cruiser would work in the space? I've already have all the amp I need.

Nuther option for you, Blaupunkt makes a 5 disc changer that fits a single DIN slot (and nice thing about it too, each disc has a slot, no magazines or loading). So, get a Blaupunkt receiver for the top slot and the changer for the bottom. Guy in my club has this set up and it's nice.

Hey CruiserDan,
How much is a stock replacement CD player for a 97? My CD doesn't play anymore.

If yours is a 3-in-1 double din, model # 56807, a replacement chassis is an 86120-35170. List is $1,291.95 :eek:

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6013;start=msg48296#msg48296 date=1065546795]

If yours is a 3-in-1 double din, model # 56807, a replacement chassis is an 86120-35170. List is $1,291.95 :eek:

D-
[/quote]

who makes up these prices??? that's a bit embarrassing, you know??

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=2;threadid=6013;start=msg48240#msg48240 date=1065539488]
Hey CruiserDan,
How much is a stock replacement CD player for a 97? My CD doesn't play anymore.
[/quote]

If you really want one, I'll sell you mine out of my 96.

Will

Eric,

Don't spill any Coke in yours. Model # 56804: $2,177.85

And no, I'm not kidding. :p

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6013;start=msg48385#msg48385 date=1065559109]
Eric,

Don't spill any Coke in yours. Model # 56804: $2,177.85

And no, I'm not kidding. :p

D-
[/quote]

O-M-G, Dan -- I'll be extra picky next time I'm trying to get the dog-hair out out of the cd-loader-slot!!

eric

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6013;start=msg48296#msg48296 date=1065546795]

D-
[/quote]

Looks like it's Tapes only :D
I could install an indash dvd player for that price. hummmm :D

check the ALPINES ,most if not all of them have the knob style volume control(it does serve other functions as well but its still a knob)there may be other brands as well....

visit www.crutchfield.com for good info/selection..........

doug

>> Model # 56804: $2,177.85 <<

Do you move many... other than theft replacement?

-B-

NOPE,

Whe mostly send them out for repair. It runs around a hundred bucks to get one fixed.

Curious, will the stereo work fine if the CD player is removed ONLY? Mine is very touchy and I got a 12 disc changer on the shelf. Or are they just one big unit?

Thanks.

Both single din am/fm with single din stacked cd and double din units were used. The majority of 80 series Cruisers came with double din units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom