'92 FJ or '93 FZJ ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Suggestions.
I know the main differences between the FJ and the FZJ (engine size, FF rear axle with disks, etc).
Here's what I'm kinda considering.
Both vehicles are in about the same shape, body, paint, interior, etc.

- '92 with 179K.
- '93 with 212K no diff lockers.

The '92 I can get for about $3500.00.
The '93 probably about $1500 more maybe a little less.

Both vehicles are in good shape and supposedly drive just fine.

:)
Fred

Last edited:
If they are in similar shape, the 93 would easily be worth the extra $1500, to me. Especially if it has 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS/full floater (most likely does). But you could always drive both of 'em and then decide.

92... 3FE Power. :D

I my opinion, the only advantage to the FZJ is the lockers. If the 93 has no lockers then all you're paying extra for is a laundry list of extra problems, i.e. PHH, EGR codes, EFI relay overheating etc. . .etc.

The 92 will just keep running as long as you add fuel and oil.

I my opinion, the only advantage to the FZJ is the lockers. If the 93 has no lockers then all you're paying extra for is a laundry list of extra problems, i.e. PHH, EGR codes, EFI relay overheating etc. . .etc.

I was wondering about the difference in power between the two engines.
I looked at a '93 tonight (didn't drive it) and the inside's not real nice (seats pretty ripped, etc).
I'll drive the '92 tomorrow.

Look for a cleaner '93+, they are out there. 50 extra HP is nice for these heavy pigs.

Jack

92: 4.0L 3F-E - 155HP, 220 lb/ft. Strong like bull. Slow like sloth. Keep her watered and fed and she will go forever. Has a really mean growl... :D

93: 4.5L 1FZ-FE - 212 HP, 27x lb/ft. ... Strong, yet sounds like minivan. :flipoff2:

I'm the same way as Alex, the only real advantage to the FZJ is the OEM F/R lockers.

Last edited:
Take the extra 1500 bucks, add some 4:88 gears and rear locker. Then that 50 extra horses won't matter, for all the extra problems that go with them.

AFAIK, the EFI relay problem is with the FJ80. The FZJ has way more power and better brakes, I think that's a pretty distinct advantage. The only significant potential problem vs. an FJ80, is the HG. The 92 or 93 will just keep running as long as you add fuel and oil.

AFAIK, the EFI relay problem is with the FJ80.

That's a $12 fix. :D

It's the ONLY problem I've ever seen that's consistent over the 91-92 3FE-equipped 80s.

That's a $12 fix. :D

It's the ONLY problem I've ever seen that's consistent over the 91-92 3FE-equipped 80s.

You haven't heard of the oil galley plug that gives up the ghost, and spews all your oil while your driving down the road?

Just look for the best condition, disregard the year, it's all good. It doesn't make sense to dump cosmetic money into any 80, so I would look for good paint and interior first, then miles, then mechanicals. you'll know one that hasn't been taken care of mechanically because the rest of it will suck, too. Personally, though, I couldn't live with my truck if it had 50 less horsepower.

You haven't heard of the oil galley plug that gives up the ghost, and spews all your oil while your driving down the road?

Anecdotally, that seems to be restricted to the FJ62 3FE's. For example, I actually don't think I've ever seen that come up here in the 80 series section.

Curtis

Anecdotally, that seems to be restricted to the FJ62 3FE's. For example, I actually don't think I've ever seen that come up here in the 80 series section.

Curtis

Could very well be, now that I think about it, it was on the 3FE list.

Ahhhhh....this is the same old argument that we always have. It has been well understood and documented that fj 80's are far superior than fzj 80's. The 3fe will run forever. The disc brakes are often times overrated, especially considering that drum brakes do not malfunction because of rocks and dust jamming between the rotor and caliper. Full floating is kind cool however. The 3fe does not blow headgaskets...it does not have as much power as the 1fz (its a landcruiser, not a ferrari)...I daily drive a 320,000 mile 3fe. Do the right thing....3fe powa! :hillbilly:

There's a gas mileage difference too. As crappy as the mileage is with the 1FZ, it's worse with the 3FE.

Having driven a very overloaded and VERY underpowered 22RE SAS, expedition set up pick up for years, I can say that being underpowered on the highway is a real pain. My 1FZ is so much more enjoyable to drive.

But there's something to be said for not having to ever worry about when your HG is going to blow. As far as the brakes and axles, they can be swapped over fairly easy if you find a donar. A cheap 3FE truck might be a good candidate for a diesel swap later on.

To me it all depends on what you want to do. For a road trip rig, that sees some off roading, I like the extra power amd better gas mileage. For an off roader, I'd go with the cheaper rig with the simplier more dependable engine.

<SNIP>

To me it all depends on what you want to do. For a road trip rig, that sees some off roading, I like the extra power amd better gas mileage. For an off roader, I'd go with the cheaper rig with the simplier more dependable engine.

This is kinda where I'm thinking now.
It will be my DD, at least for a year, however it will be built some and used off road.
My Jeep ('98 TJ)that I had before my current 4Runner (I sold the Jeep a little over a year ago) was extremely well built (35's, locked, armored, and many other mods -> plasma cutter, welder ;) ), and, simply, was one of the best performing off road vehicles that I've ever seen/had and it was my DD also.

I was just getting ready to start a build up on the 4Runner, when something "caught my eye" about the 80's about a month or so ago. After some researching, I've decided that the 80's are a better choice for building up (solid axles front and rear, coils all four corners, etc) than the 4Runner ('95) and thus, here I am today ;)

Fred

This is kinda where I'm thinking now.
It will be my DD, at least for a year, however it will be built some and used off road.
My Jeep ('98 TJ)that I had before my current 4Runner (I sold the Jeep a little over a year ago) was extremely well built (35's, locked, armored, and many other mods -> plasma cutter, welder ;) ), and, simply, was one of the best performing off road vehicles that I've ever seen/had and it was my DD also.

I was just getting ready to start a build up on the 4Runner, when something "caught my eye" about the 80's about a month or so ago. After some researching, I've decided that the 80's are a better choice for building up (solid axles front and rear, coils all four corners, etc) than the 4Runner ('95) and thus, here I am today ;)

Fred

Well, you've seen the light, and made the right choice. :D

Sorry, us 80 guys sometimes get carried away with which engine is better <cough>3FE<cough>... Either way, both engines are extremely well built and will go forever...and most will give either up for a factory Toyota diesel. :cheers:

Welcome. :flipoff2: <--official 'Mud salute

There's a gas mileage difference too. As crappy as the mileage is with the 1FZ, it's worse with the 3FE.

I disagree with this, and never saw any evidence to support it in all those "Hey guys, what mileage are you getting??" threads.

Personally, I get 16-17mpg on the highway. My guess for why would be that the 3FE has little enough power that it's just not worth it to drive aggresively, so I just toodle along in the slow lane. :lol:

Curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom