1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

92' FJ 80 driveline question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by woodcanoeguy, Mar 4, 2007.

1. woodcanoeguy

woodcanoeguy

I just purchased a 92 FJ80 and when I am driving and both when I let up on the gas quickly and then step on the gas quickly again I get a clunking sound under the rig near the driveline I suspect. Is this something normal related to the full time 4wd or could it be something wrong like a loose u joint? Any help is appreciated.

Terry

2. AMMO

AMMO

Drive shafts are dry, need to be greased.

-Ammo

3. CJF

CJF

A clunk like you're describing can/should be considered normal (only on a 91-92) IF you've greased the driveshafts and u-joints, and also checked them for wear and play, and have no other symptoms.

Curtis
    91FJ80, 235K, plenty clunky

4. Lka1988

Lka1988 Wheeling in scale

Normal. Be sure to grease it though.

5. MJADDICTION

MJADDICTION

Just got finished fixing this in a '92 80. If you turn the wheel sharp to the left or right, then give it some gas, do you hear any clicking? If you do then it's the Birfields causing some of the clunk too. I've found that it's a comb. of things that cause the clunk. Mine was the Birfields, the Drive-flanges that key into the axle shaft, and the d-shafts. I replaced the Birfields with some OEM's from CDan, drive flanges from CDan, and some Yota D-shaft joints, also from Dan. My clunk is gone, but...

It's expensive. I would repack first if your not wanting to throw alot of money into your 80. Check out the FAQ at the top here, and you will get plenty of help from this crew. A great bunch, with tons of knowledge about the 80's.

While I had the clunk, I found that shifting the 80 from D to 3, around town kept the clunking to a minimum. When you get the chance adj. the timing and the kick-down, and throttle cables (you will seee all of these in the FAQ section, also you should join the 3FE Yahoo bunch for tons more info on the 3FE; http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/

All this will help with the lag some of the 3FE's experience, and will also help with the clunking.

Welcome, glad to see another 3FE in the club.

6. woodcanoeguy

woodcanoeguy

Thank you all for your kind help.......this is my first FJ80 so it is new territory for me. Again thanks for your advice...will grease it up good.
    Terry