92’ center diff lock? Any info buy or keep looking $5000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a 1992 with 222,000. No rust but totally flaking paint and absolutely no clear coat. Total repaint needed. No accident. Interior clean, basic no upgrades at all. Clothes eats in good condition, but few blemishes like cracked dash. Seats complete but missing 3rd row. Needs some repairs... power steering for sure. Everything looks to be OEM. Meaning replace soon.
I’m a bit confused by the sellers saying it has 3 lockers. The dash has center diff button. Looked up vin and engine is 3FE.

I’m mechanic inclined. Built many jeeps but never touched a cruiser but really want to go that route bs another jeep.

My questions are:
is the 92 FJ80 worth buying for $5000 or hold off for a 93and newer?
Is this a full time 4wd, is it a true center diff lock or has it been added after fact? How do I tell?

I’m a bit confused by the sellers saying it has 3 lockers. The dash has center diff button. Looked up vin and engine is 3FE.

My questions are:
is the 92 FJ80 worth buying for $5000 or hold off for a 93and newer?
Is this a full time 4wd, is it a true center diff lock or has it been added after fact? How do I tell?

The easy stuff first- all 80 series in the US were built with full-time 4wd, and have a center differential locker. It it possible to convert them to part-time 4wd, but you would see locking hubs on the front axle if this was done.

My understanding is that the 91-92 and maybe some 93's came with the CDL (center differential locker) switch on the dash. In 93, the CDL switch was deleted and the CDL is actuated by putting the transfer case in low range. Also, the rear axle was upgraded to a full-float design and axle lockers were an option. They were not a factory option in 91-92, which came with a semi-float rear axle.

You should ask the seller what he means by having 3 lockers. If the axles have lockers, they are either aftermarket or they could be OEM swapped in from a later model truck.

As for value, that's the toughest call. The 3FE is a slow but reliable pig. The 1FZ is a less-slow and reliable pig. 222K is low mileage for a 28 year old vehicle, but it's still 222K. I personally think $5k is the high end of the range for the year and condition you have described, but I'm cheap and it seems like all 80's are gaining value daily. On the other hand, you may be hard pressed to find a comparable 93+ in that price range, and lower mileage than that will really pump up the price. If condition and refinement are a priority, wait for a later model truck in better condition and be prepared to spend more. If not, then value comes down to what you're willing to spend on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom