'92 A/C convert to r134a Schrader valve ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The A/C has not worked on my '92 since I bought it. It needs new compressor and the whole system flushed and new expansion valve and dryer. I want to convert it to r134a, which is no big deal except for the Schrader valve connectors. I would like to have the r134a connectors, not just adapters on my r12 connectors. Has anyone been able to do this?

I thought most new compressors now come setup only for 134 am I wrong?

New Denso compressors do not come with the manifold, it has the fittings for the type of freon required.

... I want to convert it to r134a, which is no big deal except for the Schrader valve connectors. I would like to have the r134a connectors, not just adapters on my r12 connectors. Has anyone been able to do this?

It's easy, take that relic down to your local stealership and trade it for something with modern freon. IIRC, when the 134 change happened, all/most fitting thread sizes changed, so parts could not be interchanged? The adapters are mature tech, simple and overall have worked well.

I was hoping there was a manifold available with 134a connectors. I've used adapters on other vehicles before. My experience is they pretty much always leak after a couple of years.

I used the bag of parts listed in the TSB, that I posted above, two years ago and have no issues to date.

Not sure why you have an issue with using adapters. I converted my jeep's r12 system to r134a at least 6 years ago. Re-gassed with HF gauges, a HF vacuum pump and appropriate conversion cans. The system has worked perfectly every summer, no gas loss or issues.

My other vehicles (the 80 included) are r134a already, so my experience is with the jeep.

cheers,
george.

I just bought a little screw on adapter. I think I got it off Amazon for a few bucks. Screwed onto the Schrader valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom