'92 80 on highway (4.0 I6) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at purchasing a pretty clean '92 with a freshly rebuilt engine. Just wanted to check in with others who have the same engine since I haven't been able to find another locally- how does it do on the highway? Test driving it it's pretty much floored anywhere after 60mph. Is that normal for this engine? Or is there something I'm missing?

It's a 3FE right? That's normal. I used to have a FJ55 with a 2F and it was equally ubnimpressive.

It's a 3FE right? That's normal. I used to have a FJ55 with a 2F and it was equally ubnimpressive.
Yep 3FE. Thanks for the reply, makes me feel better. I've read the can be super slow in these forums, just haven't heard much about highway speeds.

Never driven one, but from what I hear that's pretty normal. And what altitude are you talking here? A mile high and thing get more gutless in anything that's not super- or turbocharged to make up the difference.

Never driven one, but from what I hear that's pretty normal. And what altitude are you talking here? A mile high and thing get more gutless in anything that's not super- or turbocharged to make up the difference.
Good point. Sitting at about 5k so definitely doesn't help. Would richening up the mixture a bit help?

It takes a lot of work to base line a 80 series whichever engine you have. The 3fe is getting harder to find parts for.
Makes sense. Don't seem to be a whole lot of them out there. It's a pretty good deal on the truck though, kinda hard to pass up. Rebuilt engine, great maintenance records, no rust, completely stock.

Makes sense. Don't seem to be a whole lot of them out there. It's a pretty good deal on the truck though, kinda hard to pass up. Rebuilt engine, great maintenance records, no rust, completely stock.
Well it's kind of like buying a v6 camaro compared to a v8 camaro. It will get u down the road. But their is a reason they are cheap although some ask high prices for their 3fe and sometimes get it. But if u want to build it up you'll wish for the 1fz. You can easily add a supercharger or turbo to the 1fz if u get the right year. Yes a 1fz is more up front but usually worth it.

Well it's kind of like buying a v6 camaro compared to a v8 camaro. It will get u down the road. But their is a reason they are cheap although some ask high prices for their 3fe and sometimes get it. But if u want to build it up you'll wish for the 1fz. You can easily add a supercharger or turbo to the 1fz if u get the right year. Yes a 1fz is more up front but usually worth it.
Fair enough... don't have plans to build it but then again I didn't have plans to build my tacoma and that changed real fast... thanks for the advice I might hold off then.

Fair enough... don't have plans to build it but then again I didn't have plans to build my tacoma and that changed real fast... thanks for the advice I might hold off then.
They arent bad trucks, just really slow if built up. Building a 80 is expensive so if your going to invest, think it over carefully. Once mods are added, that couple grand saved on purchase of a 3fe truck is pretty inconsequential usually except it's a slow truck with lots ofmoney and time in it then.

They arent bad trucks, just really slow if built up. Building a 80 is expensive so if your going to invest, think it over carefully. Once mods are added, that couple grand saved on purchase of a 3fe truck is pretty inconsequential usually except it's a slow truck with lots ofmoney and time in it then.
I can imagine even with a regear 35s would be brutal on the highway. Then again it's not really a highway truck. From a reliability standpoint they seem to be on par at least.

I have a 91. It will do 75 on the highway with 33s at 2k elevation. Gearing helps when you start modifying.

If you're looking for a fun vehicle that will take you virtually anywhere, it's an 80. They're more expensive to build, especially compared to a Jeep. But the quality is also what you are paying for.

The 3fe is a tractor engine. Incredibly tough, dependable, but not fast, especially compared to modern cars.
The 1fz is more powerful, but are prone to head gasket issues. Search and see the tons of threads about it.

Check out the Sticky "buyers guide".

91s and 92s are pretty cheap now, and are a great platform for a V8 swap if you have the knowledge, skill, and $.
I'm biased towards mine; it's like the chubby chick. She isn't the fastest, or the prettiest, but she's a great ride.

I have a 91. It will do 75 on the highway with 33s at 2k elevation. Gearing helps when you start modifying.

If you're looking for a fun vehicle that will take you virtually anywhere, it's an 80. They're more expensive to build, especially compared to a Jeep. But the quality is also what you are paying for.

The 3fe is a tractor engine. Incredibly tough, dependable, but not fast, especially compared to modern cars.
The 1fz is more powerful, but are prone to head gasket issues. Search and see the tons of threads about it.

91s and 92s are pretty cheap now, and are a great platform for a V8 swap if you have the knowledge, skill, and $.
I'm biased towards mine; it's like the chubby chick. She isn't the fastest, or the prettiest, but she's a great ride.

Ha fair enough! So with stock gearing I'm assuming the pedal to the floor getting onto the highway and keeping it at speed was perfectly normal on yours

I bought it with a 2.5" lift and 33s
Not sure what gears of has. But even with a bad AFM and intake hose, I was still doing 75-80 on the highway driving it home. Low idle it stalled.
And I didn't have the pedal to the floor. I got the beast up to 90 to pass a big rig and could watch the fuel gauge moving to E.

I have also noticed a fair difference in individual vehicles- my parts rig ran stronger. Also had 70k less miles.
And for discussion, the one I've mentioned doing 75-90 has 256k miles.

All things being equal, 1FZ-FE will be the better daily driver, and better when you start adding poundage (armor) to the rig. Both are reliable engines, but the the 3FE is arguably more reliable, and easier to work on. If I got a 3FE, I'd regear it to 4.88, but honestly, the bigger question may not involve the motor. Do you want lockers? I don't think the US-spec 3FE trucks had them.

I’ve had both. Didn’t notice much of a difference between my 3fe in 33x9.5’s and my 1fz on 315’s. You SHOULD NOT need to floor it to do anything above 60. I wouldn’t shy away from a 3fe, but maybe that one would need more looking into. If I had to do it again, I would’ve kept my FJ80 and swapped a full float rear end in. Getting rid of the engine either way.

My truck is a 1992. It was good enough for the current speed limits in 1992. I get a decent cruising speed of 65-70. I can get more if needed. I’m fully built with, slee’d, armor, 35’s, winch blah blah blah. 5.29’s and overdrive gears in the Tcase made the difference. Its not 1fz quick but at the speed mentioned above its a great cruiser and ultra reliable. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom