'92 3FE, first time LC owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll admit, I originally looked at a Hilux surf TD. Then wound up in the offroading SUV rabbit hole, which led to spotting an ad for, and then within two weeks purchasing, my first LC. I think I'm in love. Pam is a '92 3FE beaut. Some cosmetic wear on the exterior, to be expected, but the cleanest frame on a 28 year old truck I ever did see, thanks to being an AZ car for the majority of her life so far.

Mechanical status:

-Engine rebuild <1,000mi ago, some shop used the wrong distributor cap. Whoops. Rebuild done by LC specialty shop local here, so I'm hoping she has another few 100k in her.
-Already base-lined oil (Mobil1 high mileage, extended protection 5W-30 because it gets cold here in winter), TC, diff fluids (STP 75w-90). Impact wrench made it super easy to get the bolts free when I couldn't get the angle for good leverage.
-Cleaned up the battery terminals
-Exhaust leak near the cat, I tried to find it but after snapping a rusty bolt or two, I think I'm going to deal with it until I overhaul the exhaust
----On that note, should I just straight pipe it? Get an aftermarket cat and re-do the whole system from the manifold back?
-Cooling system has a few hose leaks, fortunately mostly easy ones to replace. Just gotta go dig through and find some part numbers...
-Probably needs a valve tune and a timing adjustment, since I'm not running her through the safari with whatever fuel I can force into the tank
-The driver's side window works fine when the weather is good, but likes to get stuck if the window had any water on it. Did I buy a fair weather truck? I can pull the window past the sticking point and it will finish rolling back up.

Cosmetics:
-The vinyl of the driver's side seat has split, which doesn't really bother me, I'll probably stitch it back up and throw a seat cover on it
-Fender flares have some dings and cracks which I'll just bondo and leave until they bother me too much.
-I found out that 3M makes a good heavy duty taillight film when I looked into how best to fix the cracked one
-Interior could use a good vacuum, and the plastic could use some scrubbing, but mechanical stuff first.
-Paint is sun-faded, debating getting a can of spray clear coat and just shining her up again.

What I plan on doing with her:
-Basically, I want to be able to get where other people can't. Rocky forest service roads, backcountry exploring, and remote car camping. I don't have any plans to turn her into a crawler, so in the end I'm looking at putting an aftermarket bumper with more lights, pop 33's on her, and upgrade the suspension.
-Once my mechanical to-do list is finished (lol it's never going to end, I know) I'm debating painting her (still two tone) spruce mica green on top, and the same dark gray on the bottom. Then again, the light color helps keep the interior cooler, so maybe I'll go a silver on the top, and then from around door handles down, the spruce mica. Who knows? I'm a long way from that point anyway.

Last edited:
We need pix!

Don't use that nasty tape repair film crap for your taillights - find some used taillights in Mud classifieds. Also, spray clear coat will not hold up on the paint, if the factory clear coat is toast. Save your effort/trouble, or at least try it for a few months in one small area first.

An exhaust shop may be able to weld up the leak or fix the flange area - I would study that closely before putting on an aftermarket kit.

The driver's window likely has 28 years of grime in all the window tracks/gears/linkages and if you took off the door panel and cleaned and greased everything, it would work a lot better.

Rockstar! Thank you!

We need pix!

Don't use that nasty tape repair film crap for your taillights - find some used taillights in Mud classifieds. Also, spray clear coat will not hold up on the paint, if the factory clear coat is toast. Save your effort/trouble, or at least try it for a few months in one small area first.

An exhaust shop may be able to weld up the leak or fix the flange area - I would study that closely before putting on an aftermarket kit.

The driver's window likely has 28 years of grime in all the window tracks/gears/linkages and if you took off the door panel and cleaned and greased everything, it would work a lot better.

It's more of a red plastic sheet than the classic tape, much less noticeable than the stuff I've seen on other cars. It's just a temporary weather seal until I get to a junkyard or find one for sale here!

Good note on the clear coat, eventually I'll definitely get a true paint job done, but need to save up for that. Likewise with the exhaust, I can't afford to have anyone else do work on the car right now and it's such a minor leak that I'm not stressing. I thought about going aftermarket just to open up and let the engine breathe a little better... those 4 90 degree twists do a number on the back pressure.

I can't get her registered for another week and a half since the dmv is so overloaded thanks to the virus, so I have plenty of time to get that window track all cleaned up. Pics to come!

Not sure if your location prevents you doing this, but I’ve had both stock and desmogged 3fe cruisers, and the latter seems to run/perform better ( not to mention you simplify things quite a bit). Another item that my current 92 benefited greatly from was a slight adjustment to the kickdown cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom