91 starter problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RCV

Threads
I've been having starter problems for a long time now. Have replaced starter 3 times, ignition switch, cables, efi... still having intermittent problems. Just got it back from the mechanic Wednesday and tonight I'm getting gas and go to start it... no go. After a bit, and a push to a parking stall, we tap on the starter with a hammer, it turns over. Someone suggested the flywheel/flex plate is not straight and that the starter needs to be shimmed. Said the flywheel has a sticking or rub spot and the rod isn't making good contact. This sound right or is that just crazy? Was getting a sol click when it happened, but now I get nothing when it happens. Since the gas station, it has started fine twice. Any help?

Year? Country of origin? Engine?

Are you replacing the Starter with Denso units?

If you're getting a good solid clunk from the starter but no crank, then the solenoid is pulling in correctly, but either the internal contacts are faulty or you're not getting a good +12 from the battery to the large terminal on the starter.

If you are no longer getting the "clunk" from the solenoid pulling in, then either the solenoid is stuck or you're not getting a good +12 to the smaller push on terminal on the starter.

FWIW, aftermarket starters have a very poor reputation and fail very often.
The EFI system has nothing to do with the starter circuit.

Thanks Jon

1991, US, Straight 6.

I found another thread that talked about putting in a Ford sol. There was also mention of a bypass. You familiar with these fixes?

Thanks Jon

1991, US, Straight 6.

I found another thread that talked about putting in a Ford sol. There was also mention of a bypass. You familiar with these fixes?
I am familiar with them, but it's not something I would do. I don't bypass problems. I fix them.
The starter circuit is very straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom