91 SF Rear Axle Bearing Groove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing the driver's side rear axle outer oil seal today - looking at the axle shaft itself where the bearings ride, does this seem normal to have such a deep groove or do I have a problem I am unaware of? Bearing itself seems to be visually in great shape and in working order as I spin it with my fingers...however this truck has well over 300K miles - TIA for any help/ideas!

Rear Driver Axle Groove.jpg

replace that shaft and the bearing.

Thanks CruiserMatt - I figured so....any other things I should be concerned about or look at while I'm into it this far?

Thanks CruiserMatt - I figured so....any other things I should be concerned about or look at while I'm into it this far?
I would say make sure you flush the gear fluid really well from the third member, also make sure to inspect the other axle shaft.

You will discover that the truck will be a LOT quieter to drive when you get it back together.

If you are carrying lots of weight in your LC, you may want to consider swapping the rear SF for a FF.

That is a perfect example of why FF is better than SF..

Sadly I won't notice the sound difference because of the Cummins swap - the biggest weight change is in the front, but in the rear I do have HD springs but only carry about 250lbs of gear in the rear regularly, and that's with the 3rd row of seats out so it shouldn't be over loaded in the rear. Good point though overall about FF vs SF rears. Although the mileage this thing has clocked before any issue is impressive. Passenger side axle is in great shape but I am replacing them both with Chromoly Longs now lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom