‘91 pinion seal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bighollowguitars.com
So Last summer I rebuilt the driveline from the front diff to the birfs. The only thing I missed was the ****ing breather valve, which was caked shut with an oil and dirt mixture. Turns out breathing is muy importante.
My travel over 11’ passes and down to Moab and back put so much pressure on the axle that it blew both the axle seal on one side and the pinion seal.
Now I need to replace them. My work on the axle last summer will serve to inform my replacing the axle seal, but what about the pinion seal?
I have already decided I am going to replace the seal w/o dropping the diff. I don’t want to get into bearings or races or anything else. I just want to pull the pinion nut and flange, replace the seal, and put it back together.
Here is the question though:
My FSM for my ‘91 calls for a new bearing spacer. I assume that this is different than the later crush washers. What is the method for retightening this? I would assume that the spacer retains its dimensions mostly and can/must be retorqued to 145 ft/lbs, whereas the later diffs with crush washers must be marked and the pinion nut returned to the mark.
Am I right on this? Anyone successfully replace this seal without getting any deeper than this?

I don’t have my FSM in front of me, but IIRC, after replacing the spacer and seal you torque the nut to between 145 and 253 ft-lbs, whatever gets you to 4-7 in-lbs preload (if reusing the bearing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom