91 Octane (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
On another thread I presented a rattling / clattering sound I'm experiencing and was encouraged to try a couple of tanks of 91 octane to see if it would cure it. I have no problem doing that, but my question is this....... will prolonged use of higher octane gas damage the cats or other emission components??

Wayne S

I wouldn't worry about 91-94 octane as that is regular super unleaded pump gas. Toyota actually encourages it on newer models. Running like 115 ocatane could cause some problems, usually it burns hotter. I would also look at your timing to see if that might be the problem.

I've been running it for 2 years it has not damaged mine. I don't see how it could. 91 octane fuel is less volatile than 89 octane fuel that is why it does not pre-ignite and cause pinging.

I'd like to find 105 for less than 4 bucks a gallon :'(

Speaking of high octane, one of our local gas stations is selling 115 octane in the pumps for the ricers. If I'm by that way I'll check the price. One of my friends used to work for Cenex in Montana. He told me if I wanted to buy high octane fuel to buy their regular stuff and it was as good as the other companies Super. They did not have a good blending process. The number on the tag is the minimum octane. Also, the higher the elevations the lower the octane numbers will be, I'm not a chemist or a physist so I don't know exactly way. In Montana where I lived regular was only 84 or 85, the super was only 90. I know when I've traveled I've seen 92, 93, and 94 as the super and their regulars are in the 86,87,88 range.

Here in Thailand we have as regular 91 and as Super 95.

I have seen 97 as Super in Europe.

Mike

Eric,

Sounds like your Cenex buddy has taken his company's product line hook, line and sinker. To say a minor league local brand's mid grade is equivalent to everyone else's premium grade is kinda - ah, suspect? Particularly when stated by an employee of said minor league local brand.

Nothing personal - just pointing out the context in the interest of accurate info on the board.

Doug

The Service Book says to use 91 octane Petrol.
What would higher Octane Petrol do to the Catalytic Converter, When there is'nt even one there? :D

Doug,

Actually it was a comment based on their inability to get the blending process down. The larger refineries in the area had better systems so their fuel was blended more evenly. What was strange is he knew this yet he did not buy their fuel. He would only go to stations that had pay at the pump, their company did not have those types of stations. I always thought it was strange for him to buy gas across the street from a gas station that paid his bills. He no longer works for them. I guess I should have included this in my original statement. I'm not trying to endorse any gas company or gas station.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=7271;start=msg60652#msg60652 date=1068316214]
Speaking of high octane, one of our local gas stations is selling 115 octane in the pumps for the ricers. If I'm by that way I'll check the price. [/quote]

My guess is between $4 and $5 a gallon. There are a couple of places around me that sell it. I used to put it in my Ritter-prepped Polaris Scrambler. Sundays used smell like race day. :D

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=7271;start=msg60653#msg60653 date=1068316535]
Here in Thailand we have as regular 91 and as Super 95.

I have seen 97 as Super in Europe.

Mike
[/quote]

Don't forget there are three different octane systems, so you have to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. 97 Ron from Europe is equivilant to about 93 Octane in the US. Here is a linke to a site that explains a bit:

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html

Cary

What would higher Octane Petrol do to the Catalytic Converter, When there is'nt even one there?

I have a friend in Germany who owns a tuned BMW with US-Norm catalytic converter. He has to use 100 octane RON, that will be 96 PON (US). He is not allowed to use anything lower, very expensive but it doesn't hurt the converter at all.

Mike

Isn't jet-A jet fuel like 120 octane? But jet-A is more like diesel or kerosene that automotive gasoline. Prices are like $2.75-3/gallon at your local airport.

[quote author=Jim_Chow link=board=2;threadid=7271;start=msg61232#msg61232 date=1068489559]
Isn't jet-A jet fuel like 120 octane? But jet-A is more like diesel or kerosene that automotive gasoline. Prices are like $2.75-3/gallon at your local airport.
[/quote]

Do not under any circumstances run aviation fuel in an automobile. It will cause severe problems. First, avaiation fuel is usually leaded. Second, they use different formulas that will literally destroy automobile fuel systems.

As far a premium fuel ruining the Cats, it belongs in the urban myth file. You will not harm anything by running a higher grade of fuel, only a lower than required grade (should not be an issue with a stock LC).

Cary

In response to the "Jet-A" fuel that was posted earlier on this thread..... gas turbine engines (turbo-jet, turbo-prop and turbo-fan) all use special jet fuels. I'm most familiar with the military types and there is generally one fuel used in 98% of military aircraft today, and that is JP-5. Years ago there was a JP-4, and there are special types for special aircraft (i. e. JP-7 for the SR-71 Blackbird). Military diesel powered support equipment and trucks can burn JP-5 without a problem.

Now dove-tailing on what Cary said in his post....... "AvGas" is for piston driven aircraft engines and should never be used in a modern automobile engine. It does contain lead and the octane rating is to high. Race car engines that are specifically built for high combustion temperatures and pressures can tolerate 100 octane + aviation gas and it is used quite a bit by race crews.

Wayne S :cheers:

You know, I'm just a cheap ass :ban: We run 87 octane from 7-11 in all our 'Cruisers with no problems.

My '72 FJ40 was designed to run on low octane, 3rd world gas. And I believe our '88 FJ62 was not designed for 91 octane. And for that fact, my '93 FZJ80 isn't much newer..... So the same rule applies (in my mind that is).

Oh yeah, and it's CHEAP too!! :cheers:

Jody. [tt]Nomex on.[/tt]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom