'91 mini is kicking my ass

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by dd113, Jul 19, 2005.

1. dd113

dd113

I took on a basket case at the shop. '91 4WD mini with 22RE. Old motor was shot but ran OK another shop replaced it with a crate 22RE. It will not throw a spark.

2 other shops looked at it and now I ended up with it.

New OEM wires
    New OEM plugs
    NEW OEM rotor
    New OEM cap
    New OEM ignightor
    New OEM coil

It gets power to the coil and ignightor but will not throw a spark from the coil wire. The leads to the signal generator are new with the ignightor but the signal generator is original.

First question:
    Can you meter the black and white wires from the connector to locations on the signal generator? I would think so and I get nothing leading me to think the generator is bad.

2. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you checked the computer for any stored codes? Do you have a known good computer? You will not receive any spark unless the computer says so.

Now don't you like carbs and points better already. :)

3. dd113

dd113

NO luck on the 'puter but it should be OK the truck drove into the first shop. Currently no codes and NO I much perfer EFI

4. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    In that case I would check the primary and secondary resistance at the coil to make sure it is good or just swap a known good coil from another truck in and see what you get.

If when you put the truck back together you accidently let one of the coil terminals ground you may have damaged the coil or the igniter.

If the coil checks out then look at the igniter as your culprit. I do not know of any test procedure for the igniter.

5. patpend2000

patpend2000

What is the voltage of the battery you are trying to crank it with? On some EFI setups, the computer must see a minimum voltage before it will turn on the fuel pump or ignition.

6. stuck in GA

stuck in GA

David I say try to sell the stuff off the truck and build up that 80. :D

7. bkfj40

bkfj40 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I could send you the computer and coil from my '90 toy truck....oh wait, it doesn't have a computer and is diesel, my bad ;)

I concur with John, any chance you can find a known running truck with the computer and coil that are good? I bet a little electrical mishap at one of the other shops, but if you play your cards right, the tard that did it will soon work for you :)

bk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.