91 LC Tranny issues... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, im new here and already asking for help...

I literally just bought my 91 LC. The transmission will not kickdown to 1st gear while driving. i can manually shift into first, but it wont do it on its own. It just stays in the 4th gear all the time unless you romp on it and even then it will only downshift to 3rd.

Its not slipping at all and actually feels like it grabs really well.

Ive had a few friends suggest flushing the system. one friend even said it might be the throttle position sensor. Any ideas??

drag it by the shop. I bet kick down + bad fluid/blocked filter. possibly midgets but that is a long shot

Have you tried the FAQ? It has a page on how to adjust the throttle cable which communicates the throttle position to the transmission. The adjustment is virtually the same as depicted for the A442F, with the difference being that specs on the lower illustration should be 0.5mm-1.0mm for your A440F trasmission.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, you could drop the transmission pan, inspect the intake screen for debris, clean as necessary, and clean the sludge out of the bottom of the transmission pan before bolting it back up and refilling.

I had the same problem with mine. I shifted a lot to keep the old girl going. I adj. the kick-down, and I think that helped, but I also added some 4:88 gears at the same time. My throttle cable was also very loose. I think that the 4:88's were the biggest improvement for the shifting of the tranny.

I honestly think that all 3FE owners ought to look into 4:88's for the best performance upgrade. Mine is all natural, no desmog, both cats etc., and she runs like a champ. Shifts well, drives a 100% better.

well psfpilot nailed it. i did the adjustment and now it runs like a champ! :cheers:

Hey MJ, my 80 looks just like the one in your avatar.

Now for problem #2...

is there a way to shield the heat from the Cat. conv. under the drivers floorboard?

...Then you have the perfect color for an 80....

I bought some thick carpeted floor mats that seem to be working very well. I guess you could throw some extra insulation under the carpet. I'm eventually going to rip all my carpet out and insulate the entire floor. Look in FAQ, one of these dudes did just that,and then some...

i was reading last night that the reason its so hot is because the cats are clogged up. i want to just gut them like the user on the other thread recommended, but we have emmissions checks here. i might register it at my buddies house outside of town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom