91 Land Cruiser Knuckle Rebuild Parts Check (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grease

stp grease.jpg

How are the splines on the axle?

@aljollano came by to help. He said everything else looked fine what what he saw. But I will post up pictures to confirm.

Davegonz,

Check out his small vid a few posts above. The axle splines are worn right down from the looks of it.

ClassicYotas, you may want to invest in a new axle while you're at it. This project is about to get a bit pricey. Hopefully the other side isn't like this. Good thing is that you can just get the birfield end and not have to buy a whole axle assembly.

Birfield Joints

AXTBIRF-FJ80HD

You'll need the stronger drive flanges to go with Nitro: TOY43421-60040

Toyota OEM birf ends are Super Pricey but available as well:

1990/01 - 1992/08: 43405-60030 FJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81

1992/08 - 1994/04: 43405-60050 FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81 L=238.5

1992/08 - 1994/04: 43405-60060 FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81..GX,VX,VXL アリ(*66), L=238.5

1994/04 - 1996/08: 43405-60070 FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81 アリ(*66), L=246.5

1994/04 - 1996/08: 43405-60080 FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ81 L=246.5

I already bought flanges from @cruiseroutfit. The normal stock ones. So I would need to buy Part# FAXTBIRFFJ80 from Cruiser Outfitters

If you don't want the old flanges, I'll take them. I want to see if they'll fit my 100. I've always wanted a set with worn/no splines to use for a broken CV field repair.

If you don't want the old flanges, I'll take them. I want to see if they'll fit my 100. I've always wanted a set with worn/no splines to use for a broken CV field repair.
His flanges are very worn and the spindles will need to be replaced if he can't clean them completely.

A.J

The 100 stud diameter and pattern is different fwiw

That's what I figured.

@aljollano came by to help. He said everything else looked fine what what he saw. But I will post up pictures to confirm.

I already bought flanges from @cruiseroutfit. The normal stock ones. So I would need to buy Part# FAXTBIRFFJ80 from Cruiser Outfitters

If you can clean up the splines on the end of your axle and post some pictures of what they look like we could get a better idea. From what I can see in your short clip is severely worn down splines from grinding against the blown drive flange. I could be 100% wrong and that's just grease or metal dust packed off between the splines. A new flange used with axle splines that are badly worn will result in another ruined flange due to sloppy play or if you get caught up in a high torque situation will cause the axle to slip/spin out.

Use Moly Grease with a minimum 2% content rating for repacking the CVs and a good quality wheel bearing grease for the wheel bearings.

Oh! And like Travis 76 said, make sure to have lots of rags, brake cleaner, solvent and more rags to clean up all the parts. It's by far the messiest job I've ever done.

Update. I think I do need a new spindle. I am not sure about the spline. Ill let you guys make that judgement call.

The grease was leaking out through the holes. I think the inner axle seal is compromised.

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Eeek!

Definitely time for new birfs, new spindles, and new inner axle seal. They are all toast.

I wouldn't even keep the birfs as trail spares in that state.

I'd strongly suggest using post '94 birf and drive flanges.

Yep, time for some new parts.

Eeek!

Definitely time for new birfs, new spindles, and new inner axle seal. They are all toast.

I wouldn't even keep the birfs as trail spares in that state.

I'd strongly suggest using post '94 birf and drive flanges.

The problem is that I already bought the flanges of this year. I really dont want to buy more parts.

@cruiseroutfit

Is it Part# FAXTBIRFFJ80 - $225.00/each

or Part# FAXTBIRFFJ80HDKIT - $765/kit

and

FA35010 or FA35010MA

Spindle:

Part# FA60080

Do I need to bushing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom