91 hdj81 transfer case pops out of 4 low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When wheeling in 4 low it will randomly pop out, if held by hand at all times its good. Any experience or suggestions?

When wheeling in 4 low it will randomly pop out, if held by hand at all times its good. Any experience or suggestions?
I would suggest adjusting the shift rod a little bit. Might not be fully engaging. If you have small hands, it can be done without lowering the tcase.

Do these have a detent spring like the gearboxes? I seem to remember a few last time I disassembled one.

If the gears were being spat out by a bad tcase, it would be making all sorts of angry noises. Yours sounds like a detent spring. On my 61 series I had a bungee cord holding it in 5th gear and on my Triumph I had to hold the gearshift lever with my foot. They were not jumping out of gear, they were "falling out" as soon as the load was removed to deaccelerate.

Do these have a detent spring like the gearboxes? I seem to remember a few last time I disassembled one.
Yes they do. It’s underneath the center diff lock motor. There is a t40 torx with a spring and a check ball.

If the gears were being spat out by a bad tcase, it would be making all sorts of angry noises. Yours sounds like a detent spring. On my 61 series I had a bungee cord holding it in 5th gear and on my Triumph I had to hold the gearshift lever with my foot. They were not jumping out of gear, they were "falling out" as soon as the load was removed to deaccelerate.
Yeah your right as soon as there was a change in load it would pop out

Yes they do. It’s underneath the center diff lock motor. There is a t40 torx with a spring and a check ball.
Im really green to the 80 series, where exactly is the center diff motor? Anyone have pics? I imagine on the transfer case somewhere

This is the diesel forum. You could try your luck on the 80 series forum, they are using the same transmissions

Do you have to dismantle much to access the spring and ball?

This is what you need to remove. It’s 4 12mm head bolts. Keep track of the length coming out. I just swapped out gears, so I had it all the way out.

120D8E60-5D59-4DC1-AC63-08A14BC8E7EE.jpeg

197278FA-4497-42A2-AEED-5CB7F1BF168F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom