91 for sale.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 91 for sale today for only $3,500. It has 184,000 miles, but looks to be in decent shape. Somehow there's no rust, in Michigan! It has been owned by the same guy since 40K and he said he's kept regular maintenance on it. The speedo started squealing a little the other day while someone else was test driving it, and the right-rear window switch is inop.

Here's the question; what should I expect from this many miles? It hasn't been wheeled. The last time it was in 4lo was 5 or 6 years ago! Is that believable?

Should I forget it? I'm test driving it tomorrow evening, so if anyone can email me with suggestions, please do. campm@student.gvsu.edu

As long as you're ready for the 3FE, and all seems right when you test it, then plan for fluid baseline, birf job, and about $100-200 for odds and ends fixes and you should be happy.

double the odds and end budget and I agree.

alkaline747trio said:
As long as you're ready for the 3FE, and all seems right when you test it, then plan for fluid baseline, birf job, and about $100-200 for odds and ends fixes and you should be happy.
What should I expect of the 3FE, and do the birfs just wear out because of constant rotation? What kind of mileage is possible with a vehicle like this that has been mechanically maintained?

birfs

BALDYLOX said:
What should I expect of the 3FE, and do the birfs just wear out because of constant rotation? What kind of mileage is possible with a vehicle like this that has been mechanically maintained?
Almost forgot, what should I expect to pay for parts to do a birf job on an 80?
What parts, gaskets, seals, etc?

The 3FE is a 155HP tractor motor that will have to pull your 2-ton truck at 60 MPH, you'll either be going slow or burning gas at clost to an 8mpg rate. But you can expect this to do either of those for around 300k before a rebuild, and it is designed to be rebuilt 3 times so 1,200k out of a motor isn't bad.

Birfs wear out when they don't have sufficient grease, the inner seal goes, a bearing seizes, or take a hard hit (high traction + high torque = stress to birf).

Mechanically maintained can yeild as many miles as you can keep it on the road. Everything on this truck can be rebuilt or replaced. Give CruiserDan a PM, he'll set you right for the birf job. About $200-$250 in parts, and up to $1k for a mechanic. Do a search for the Birf. DVD, pick it up, watch it about 3 times, make sure you have all the right tools and time and tackle it yourself and save that grand.

a 3FE 80 properly tuned will cruise at 75 mph quietly and comfortably all day long as long as there are no hills :D It is a tractor motor for sure but a very civilized and refined tractor motor. underpowered, but not strikingly so.

I was in a very similar case as yours. Picked up my 91 80 for $3500 from a family member who used it as a glorified minivan. I felt it was a screaming deal with 135K, but he was only so-so on preventative maint. Before I read up on IH8MUD I just believed him that 'such and such' noise is 'normal'. Wrong! If he 'says' he has great maint, ask for the service records. There should be significant labor bills there unless he did it all himself. Great maint on this truck isn't just about changing the oil and checking fluid levels here and there.

If you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and punch the gas, does it click? If so, budget in that birf job and consider it a priority. When you're ordering your parts from Cdan I suggest you pick up a spare EFI relay and keep in in the rig. This part went out three times on my stepdad in the past six years and left him stranded. Probably not going to be an issue for you until it gets warmer outside.

The guys here are pretty tolerant of N00bs like us, but reading the FAQ and searching the archives gets the best info and nearly anything you can think of on this vehicle. There are so many members here that your issue or problem has been addressed time and time again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom