91 FJ80 with the 4.0—AT transmission pan removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got all the 10mm bolts off the transmission pan but it doesn’t want to drop out yet bec I guess that’s a dipstick tube? It looks held onto the pan by way of some grommet of some sort. How do I remove this?

287CD640-D383-4A4B-A55C-268EAF33BA40.jpeg

Thanks for replying. What is A440F? Someone on the Facebook group said the transmission dipstick is different on the 4.5 than the 4.0 but then all replies stopped. I don’t know much about the acronyms of these vehicles but I do know I have the earlier and slower variant with the 4.0L

Thanks for replying. What is A440F? Someone on the Facebook group said the transmission dipstick is different on the 4.5 than the 4.0 but then all replies stopped. I don’t know much about the acronyms of these vehicles but I do know I have the earlier and slower variant with the 4.0L
You have a 3F-E engine, an A440F transmission, and an HF2A transfer case.

Why are you dropping the transmission pan?
To change the fluid and filter. I’m the new owner for a week now. It was last changed in 2017 according to prior owner and I’m unsure if the pan was dropped then, but at least the fluid was. Draining the fluid yesterday it doesn’t look bad. I just need to finish the job and somehow disconnect the pan from this dipstick tube.

To change the fluid and filter. I’m the new owner for a week now. It was last changed in 2017 according to prior owner and I’m unsure if the pan was dropped then, but at least the fluid was. Draining the fluid yesterday it doesn’t look bad. I just need to finish the job and somehow disconnect the pan from this dipstick tube.
After this I hope I can get to the transfer case issue and remove the center diff actuator. It’s stuck in center diff lock.

You may want to check this out. Welcome to the obsession...

If the pan is clean and there's not much material on the magnets, I'd put it back together. The A440F is sensitive to fluid level, so be sure it is correct.

Don't put more than 3 or 4 quarts in at a time, or you'll just make a mess. Pour in 3 or 4 and start the engine for a second or two. Then continue to fill.

I just dropped my 94 A442F transmission pan to cleanse, re-seal and replace solenoids. For $50 I replaced the mesh filter screen but the old one was clean so not necessary. The dipstick / fill tube is a PITA but once unbolted with the brackets comes apart in 2 pieces about a foot up from the pan. There's a $0.50 o-ring in there where the two sections go together that can be replaced too.

Last edited:
I just dropped my 94 A442F transmission pan to cleanse, re-seal and replace solenoids. For $50 I replaced the mesh filter screen but the old one was clean so not necessary. The dipstick / fill tube is a PITA but once unbolted from the brackets comes apart in 2 pieces about a foot up from the pan. There's a $0.50 o-ring in there where the two sections go together that can be replaced too.
Thank you! I will try to solve the rest of this job today. Did you access this bracket and bolts from the top of the engine bay or underneath? Does it actually require whole body on top of engine bay and reaching down in order to get to it?

On mine there is a top and bottom bolt that holds in the tube. The top bolt is right at/below the dipstick and easily accessible from the top side. The bottom bolt is up the tube from the pan and comes out from down under. Again not sure if the other transmission is the same. Once those bolts are out you can wiggle out the whole fill tube which comes apart in two sections allowing removal of the pan. The bottom of the tube is part of the pan. Be ready for an ATF shower.
20220228_110115.jpg

Last edited:
Just remove the bolt that secure the dip stick up top and then you can drop the pan with the tube attached to it.
It absolutely worked. The top part of tube remained and I removed the single 12mm bolt on the bracket allowing the bottom part of the dipstick tube to separate from the top. The bottom part of this tube remained on the transmission oil pan as I dropped it down. I had to use an interior trim fitting removal tool to pry off the tube at the joining spot bec it was really stuck in there.

Does anyone start up the vehicle and cycle through the gears to push out more fluid from the inner workings of the transmission for half a minute? I did that and more poured out I guess I have 2-3 gallons of it that came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom