91 FJ80 VS 04 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently between a 91 and an 04 LC. 80 has 260k on it, hundo has 110k on it. Both clean, no wrecks, problems, etc. Suggestions?

What do you intend to do with the vehicle? How much $$$ can you spend on maintenance?

Valid question on intended purpose. 100 rides like a dream but the navigation is a drag. 80 is, well, it is an 80.

Prices vs budget, and intended use are going to be the most important questions here. That and what you like the most. Personally, the Lexus GX460 ticks every single block of a vehicle I want to own... V8? Yes. 4 doors? Yes. A-trac? Yes. Monster capability when modestly kitted? Yes. But I'll never buy one because I can't stand to look at the ugly abominations in my driveway.

Prices vs budget, and intended use are going to be the most important questions here. That and what you like the most. Personally, the Lexus GX460 ticks every single block of a vehicle I want to own... V8? Yes. 4 doors? Yes. A-trac? Yes. Monster capability when modestly kitted? Yes. But I'll never buy one because I can't stand to look at the ugly abominations in my driveway.
lol, you bring up a good point.. They are monsters, literally 🤮😂

it’s mainly going to be a DD, occasional wheeling but nothing crazy. I’m not gonna go crazy with mods off the bat. Probably 2-3” OME and some new shoes, maybe a set of SCSs eventually..

What do you intend to do with the vehicle? How much $$$ can you spend on maintenance?
it’s mainly going to be a DD, occasional wheeling but nothing crazy. I’m not gonna go crazy with mods off the bat. Probably 2-3” OME and some new shoes, maybe a set of SCSs eventually..

Valid question on intended purpose. 100 rides like a dream but the navigation is a drag. 80 is, well, it is an 80.
Mostly DD, occasional wheeling. It’s going to sit for 6 months out of the year too while I’m up at school. We’ve had a 100 before and a 60 also both great trucks. Dad currently has a 97 FJZ on BP-51s and it rides amazing. Just wondering other than the underpowered engine, how drastic the ride will be cuz it doesn’t have the rear floater.

Well. The floater won’t effect the ride. The full float rear refers to the fact that the axle shafts are supported by the drive flange rather than the bearings in a semi float set up. If your dad has an fzj you should be familiar enough with the ride characteristics. If it were me I would be between a 100 and an fzj80

Your needs. Go with the 100 series. Whatever you do, don’t look at a GX470. I want all of those for my very own. Next big rush.

I have had a 2000 LC and currently a 91 LC. Very different but same feel. I also have a 2006 4runner 4wd that I gave to my son. The V8 in the 100 was nice until an explorer turned in front of me and hit me head on totaling the 100. The 91's 3fe is not bad around town but on the highway especially pulling my boat, is well depressing. The 100 will have a lot more tech to break but it is a lot newer. The 91 is low tech and with a few spare parts, I feel like I can drive it forever. Iron Block and head with timing gear for the 3fe. The aluminum headed v8 has a timing belt that is supposed to be changed at 90k. Now surprisingly the v6 4runner was faster than the 2000 LC. Both the 91 and 2000 LC's feel like a rolling tank compared to the light and quick 4runner eventhough the 91 LC is about the same size and only a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the 4runner.

I have had a 2000 LC and currently a 91 LC. Very different but same feel. I also have a 2006 4runner 4wd that I gave to my son. The V8 in the 100 was nice until an explorer turned in front of me and hit me head on totaling the 100. The 91's 3fe is not bad around town but on the highway especially pulling my boat, is well depressing. The 100 will have a lot more tech to break but it is a lot newer. The 91 is low tech and with a few spare parts, I feel like I can drive it forever. Iron Block and head with timing gear for the 3fe. The aluminum headed v8 has a timing belt that is supposed to be changed at 90k. Now surprisingly the v6 4runner was faster than the 2000 LC. Both the 91 and 2000 LC's feel like a rolling tank compared to the light and quick 4runner eventhough the 91 LC is about the same size and only a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the 4runner.
Sorry to hear abt the 100.. Never owned a runner but I can imagine how light that feels compared to an 80. I currently have a 2016 taco, feels super light compared to an 80.. and I hate the transmission..

For your stated purpose, I would choose a 4runner or GX. Strictly between the '91 80 and the '04 100, I would say the 100 is the better option. It's nice to be able to keep up on the highway without stressing yourself out, drive up a hill, or occasionally tow something if needed.

The GX470 is an awesome machine, but every time I see one, I throw up in my mouth a little. I’m glad I never bought one.

How can such an awesome chassis end up in suck an ugly body, I’ll never know. I don’t believe it will get better looking over time either. Hmm, I wonder if a Troopy body would fit on one.

P.S. GX470,

Your barn door sucks too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom