'91 FJ80 VALUE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck has 244k on it with 38k on a rebuild. I'll be looking at it tonight. I talked to the lady on it yesterday and she don't know jack. She said she's only owned it a few months and bought it in New Mexico. What are the major things I should look for when I give it the once over? I've seen it from the outside but haven't gotten all over it yet. It's got a few minor blemishes on the outside but no major damage. The inside looks really clean but a little Armoral goes a long way.

If I can get a compression test on it what should it read assuming 40k or so?

She was asking $6800 last week and now it's down to $5900. I'm figuring around $5000 I'd be ok but I'm unsure of the rebuild. High and low book with 244k are $5900 and $5100 respectively. I know that KBB is crap but they always seem to be a little on the low side. I think I might buy this truck unless one of you guys can turn me on to something better in the same price range.

BMAN,
comperssion should be over 160# if memory serves someone else will chime in here. check the birfs of course and also test the cdl and see that it is functioning. 91 will have spider gears in transfer case not a viscous coupling so it is more important that it is working. See if you can find out who did the rebuild and what that entailed. ie was the whole thing gone through or just the valves and injectors. 5 is a good price if the block was fully gone through.
Dave

BMAN,
Can you post pics?
-B-

I'll milk the lady for as much info as possable but she seems real uninformed over the phone. I'll take the digi with me for pics. Maybe I'll have someone run a CARFAX for me.

What is your intent of using the rig for? Even at $5k you might be better off waiting for a newer one if you intend on wheeling. I'm wishing I had waited for one with lockers. Right now I'm faced with $615 for an ARB, $115 for Koyo Bearings to install the ARB, $100 set up for the ARB, and I still don't have a compressor. And that only does the rear axle. So if you want to wheel it consider adding $1700 to your purchase price for lockers. I would also be happier having rear disc brakes. And I'm in very big support of having the 1FZE over the 3FE for an 80. (I have both so I'm not talking out of my ass)

At that mileage you are looking at wheelbearings and an axle rebuild in the front if it hasn't been done. Maybe even new birfs? My 91 has had all of that done already and it is just shy of 200k. Also things like O2 sensors, PS pumps, Alternators etc... start to go. I've had all be the O2 sensor replaced on my 91.

BMAN,
The reason that I'm asking is that there was a wrecked white 91 floating around town (Albuquerque) a few months ago. It took a hard shot in the left side driver's door and passenger door. I took some pics.
-B-

Thanks for the caveat Eric,
I promise not to turn into a defensive ass hat once the mighty 3FE is threatened again.
Dave

[quote author=hpantier link=board=2;threadid=12342;start=msg113155#msg113155 date=1078166849]
here is a link that was posted earlier for a free carfax http://www.nbc4.com/consumer/2881475/detail.html see what turns up BMAN
[/quote]

Thanks bro but that was only good through yesterday! No big I'm sure I'll find one somewhere tomorrow.

Beowulf,
the truck is "Champagne" in color. No apparent repaint, but that doesn't mean it ain't been flooded. I'll crawl all over this thing tonight. Ill check the diffs for evidence of being opened. The other kicker is that she wasn't the owner for the rebuild, so I'm sure she wont be able to answer specifics...unless she has the reciept for the rebuild. I have a feeling it's a northern New Mexico truck because of the surface rust on the exhaust. No cancer mind you but deffinately seen some moisture.

Gineric,
I've got my 40 for wheeling so I'm not to inclined to wheel this truck too much. Maybe a mild wheeling/ camping vehicle. Mostly just a daily driver. I'm thinking of a slight lift and some 32's or 33's. Sliders and bumpers. Maybe lockers down the road but even that's up in the air.

>> but that doesn't mean it ain't been flooded. <<

I seriously doubt it was ever flooded in New Mexico unless they drove it into a lake and most of those wouldn't even get the headliner wet.

-B-

If you don't have intention of wheeling it too hard it might not be too bad a value then if you can get it for a reasonable price and things check out. I've been wheeling mine unlocked for a little over a year and I'm at the point where I need to do something and that expense is hard to swallow right now. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Beowulf,

Something about NM makes it easy to re-title a vehicle w/ no salvage record. This is why I mentioned the flood thing it seems there's been a ton of "flood" vehicles being sold here in AZ over the past few years. Alot of those are coming from NM.

Yeah Gineric,
I see where you're coming from. My 40( http://offroader5.freeservers.com/slide_show.html?show=Zafari_11-1-03&picture=picture12.jpg ) is up on 35's w/ front and rear ARB's and a 350/465 combo. The no lockers thing will just keep me on the easy stuff in that rig. More of a "keep me out of trouble" type thing.

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=12342;start=msg113297#msg113297 date=1078178236]
I have a '91 I bought in Dec. with 170K on it and I love it -- for $4500 --

e
[/quote]

Are you offering it up to me?

[quote author=BMAN link=board=2;threadid=12342;start=msg113303#msg113303 date=1078178532]
Are you offering it up to me?
[/quote]

haha --

you're quick on the trigger --

I'll pull up some old pics of it to show you --

Exact same rig I'm looking at 'cept the miles and all. Sunroof?

Also, someone mentioned the CDL... How do I check for issues here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom