91 fj80 timing issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 91 fj80 that I am trying to get through smog, it passing everything easily except the timing which is about 20 degrees advanced, where it runs really well. When we jump the diagnostic box (TE1 to E1) it shows a code but the idle does not audibly change, and the timing doesn’t not change. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing it not to enter fully into diagnostic mode or what could be causing it to want to run so advanced? We replaced the ECU and the TPS switch hoping those could be causing the problem.

I have 91 fj80 that I am trying to get through smog, it passing everything easily except the timing which is about 20 degrees advanced, where it runs really well. When we jump the diagnostic box (TE1 to E1) it shows a code but the idle does not audibly change, and the timing doesn’t not change. Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing it not to enter fully into diagnostic mode or what could be causing it to want to run so advanced? We replaced the ECU and the TPS switch hoping those could be causing the problem.
The code it shows is 51

Is the CEL flashing when jumpered?

what could be causing it to want to run so advanced?
Are you saying adjusting the dizzy makes no diff? maybe it's just advanced 20 deg?

I can adjust the dizzy but the closer I get to 7 the worse it runs. Right at 7 it barely runs at all.
Ok.
So when the new ECM was installed, what happened as it learned?
Was timing adjusted at that time?

I wonder if balancer is pooched. Maybe the rubber has degraded enough to allow outer part of balancer to slip on the hub and when timing, the reading is off.

I was able to figure it out after allot of troubleshooting, I replaced the TPS again but this time with one from the Toyota dealership and both problems were solved. Hope this is helpful for someone in the future because this was incredibly frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom