91 FJ80 Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey all,

I keep running into the same issue where my starter contacts weld and the starter is no longer functional. I've had this happen every year around the same time 4 years in a row now, and while I know you can just replace the contacts, it's gotten pretty irritating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? Is it likely that I've got some sort of electrical issue, or is there a starter out there that is known to work better in the FJ80? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Hey all,

I keep running into the same issue where my starter contacts weld and the starter is no longer functional. I've had this happen every year around the same time 4 years in a row now, and while I know you can just replace the contacts, it's gotten pretty irritating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? Is it likely that I've got some sort of electrical issue, or is there a starter out there that is known to work better in the FJ80? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Have you been replacing the contacts or have you been buying reman starters or ???

Maybe there is a procedure or a product that is not so good.

Tell us more.

Have you been replacing the contacts or have you been buying reman starters or ???

Maybe there is a procedure or a product that is not so good.

Tell us more.
Yes, it is a remanufactured unit. I installed the remanufactured unit the first time by myself, then the next time it failed I took it to an electrical shop. The next time it failed it was under warranty from the shop so I took it back there. They replaced the leads and added a starter relay to make it more reliable. And now that brings us to here.

Yes, it is a remanufactured unit. I installed the remanufactured unit the first time by myself, then the next time it failed I took it to an electrical shop. The next time it failed it was under warranty from the shop so I took it back there. They replaced the leads and added a starter relay to make it more reliable. And now that brings us to here.
Usually i can get it to start by hitting the starter with a hammer to break the welds loose, but this time its been sparking when my hammer hits the starter.

Hey all,

This doesn't sound correct to me. If the contacts "welded" together, the starter motor would continuously crank even with the key removed.
Are you getting a continuous crank or a no crank?
Do you have an OEM Denso starter?
Are you using OEM replacement contacts?

If the new contacts are wearing out quickly, then they were not installed correctly.
FWIW I had 2 remanufactured starters from Toyota in the red and white boxes that had faulty contacts. I rebuilt them myself and they have been perfect for years now.
There are many many posts on how to do this yourself.

This doesn't sound correct to me. If the contacts "welded" together, the starter motor would continuously crank even with the key removed.
Are you getting a continuous crank or a no crank?
Do you have an OEM Denso starter?
Are you using OEM replacement contacts?

If the new contacts are wearing out quickly, then they were not installed correctly.
FWIW I had 2 remanufactured starters from Toyota in the red and white boxes that had faulty contacts. I rebuilt them myself and they have been perfect for years now.
There are many many posts on how to do this yourself.
Thats just what the shop has told me in the past. It doesn't crank, and usually with this problem I will get a small click when I turn the key but this time it's not even clicking.

Thats just what the shop has told me in the past. It doesn't crank, and usually with this problem I will get a small click when I turn the key but this time it's not even clicking.
Turning the key to start and getting a nice solid "thunk" sound is telling you that the starter solenoid is pulling in. The motor should crank, but if it doesn't then either the contacts are worn out or there is a faulty connection from the battery to the starter motor terminal.
If you get no sound, then the starter logic circuit is faulty as the solenoid is not pulling in. It's also possible that the solenoid plunger is stuck in some poop inside the bore preventing it from moving.
Pulling the starter and diagnosing is should be on your "to do" list.

If you get the starter working again, get a current draw test when cranking. That should tell you the condition of the starter.
I'm pretty sure the new geared starters for f/ 2f engines fit the 80 3fe.

If you get the starter working again, get a current draw test when cranking. That should tell you the condition of the starter.
I'm pretty sure the new geared starters for f/ 2f engines fit the 80 3fe.

Yes, you can interchange starters across the F/2F/3FE engines. IIRC the same gear reduction starter is used for later 2Fs and 3FEs. An early 2F non-gear reduction starter will also work on a 3FE but I don't recommend it.

After doing some deep digging for the last few days, is there ANY way a larger starter can fit in a 91? I live in a cold climate, and definitely would invest in a 2.2 kw if it would fit- however I know that the starter is on the passenger side for fj80 vs driver side for fzj80

Turning the key to start and getting a nice solid "thunk" sound is telling you that the starter solenoid is pulling in. The motor should crank, but if it doesn't then either the contacts are worn out or there is a faulty connection from the battery to the starter motor terminal.
If you get no sound, then the starter logic circuit is faulty as the solenoid is not pulling in. It's also possible that the solenoid plunger is stuck in some poop inside the bore preventing it from moving.
Pulling the starter and diagnosing is should be on your "to do" list.
jonheld, I am having the same issue on my 91. Usually when it is cold the truck will not crank, you hear a click and nothing. Then other days it fires right up. I found this work around post, Solenoid Bypass but was wondering if you think this is still a viable solution? If yes, in the diagram provided below, is the wire coming out of the neutral safety switch, is it black with a red stripe and should the entire wire be replaced from the neutral safety switch to the bypass solenoid?

Ignition-bypass-wiring-2.jpeg

jonheld, I am having the same issue on my 91. Usually when it is cold the truck will not crank, you hear a click and nothing. Then other days it fires right up. I found this work around post, Solenoid Bypass but was wondering if you think this is still a viable solution? If yes, in the diagram provided below, is the wire coming out of the neutral safety switch, is it black with a red stripe and should the entire wire be replaced from the neutral safety switch to the bypass solenoid?
The additional relay is something I would never do. I prefer to fix problems rather than mask problems.
If your starter is having issues, then rebuild it or replace it. Make sure you use a Denso starter or you'll just get really good at replacing starters.
If the logic circuit to the starter is the issue, then fix the issue. The starter circuit is very simple.

The additional relay is something I would never do. I prefer to fix problems rather than mask problems.
If your starter is having issues, then rebuild it or replace it. Make sure you use a Denso starter or you'll just get really good at replacing starters.
If the logic circuit to the starter is the issue, then fix the issue. The starter circuit is very simple.
Figured you'd say that! I'm just not looking forward to pulling that darn starter, can't even see how to reach the darn bolts. Thanks for the fast reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom