91 FJ80 heater core (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like a lot of you my heater core is leaking. I pulled it out to have it repaired (unless something has changed it seems there are no NOS or aftermarket units available) and my radiator guy said it was so far gone it was not repairable. He is currently looking for one with similar dimensions that we can adapt my hard lines too.

So my questions are

1 does anybody have one for sale or know where I maybe could find one?

2 is there a core from another application that can me made to work?

Thanks for any info.

I currently have the head off to replace the head gasket but would like to get the core figured out while the engine is apart. Seems like it would be a lot easier to get the hoses hooked back up with the head off.

Definitely going to be watching this I am in the same boat. Lot of work to get it out without having anything to put back.

Cruiser yard out of Texas shows to have one in stock for my fzj80. Hard to pull the trigger on a 375 used core. Guaranteed not to leak though.

375 would be hard for me to pay for a NOS one. But that is the problem. They got us over a barrel and know it so they can charge what they want.

I would be fine without heat for myself really but I have to have defrost.

I thought I checked cruiser yard but will double check.

While I'm here, does anyone know if they are the same 91-97? Or are they specific for certain years or 4.0 vs 4.5 etc.

The one I've been eyeballing on cruiser yard is for 95 to 97. Same for me with the defrost here in Alabama.

This is my first real contribution to the forum. Hopefully some of these veterans can chime in. As for now I'm going to be smelling the sweet smell of antifreeze blasting me in the face. At least winter is pretty much over.

I havent looked to see exactly what it would take for you (too late for me) to put a shut off on each line but you could look into that. Youd be good for the rest of the year and not have to worry about it until next winter.

I have done this on some of my trucks. Not for the above mentioned reason but to keep the inside a bit cooler in the summer.

You either have to try out an aftermarket brand that no one has done yet or buy a used one.

To get your old one rebuilt can be in the $500 range. Seriously. I also do old cars and having parts built like that cost that much these days.

Cruiser Yard (@arcteryx ) is a great asset to this community, as is @slow95z for used parts.

There are differences in the 91-94 models, then 95-97. It has to do with the pipes on the inlet / outlet and not many have tried any of the aftermarket version or even if it fits.

How about you decide the route to go and post your results.

The heater core is not an easy one on these and they are not cheap, but they are not out of line with other 25+ year old cars.

i have a 91 i just brought in to be parted out. hit me up if you are interested in the used route.

I've had my 96 for a few years now. Defrost would cause the windshield to fog over in certain temperature scenarios. Each year it is progressively getting worse though. I've been procrastinating the task of taking it out. A lot of work for a maybe it can be fixed.

I've done business with cruiser yard with good results. it would suck to go through all that work and 3 years down the road being the same boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom