91 FJ80 Door lock cylinders keys missing, can I get a key made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
None of the keys that came with my 91 FJ80 operate my door locks or rear hatch lock. Is it possible to have a key made for them? Don't want to spend $250+ on a new set.

None of the keys that came with my 91 FJ80 operate my door locks or rear hatch lock. Is it possible to have a key made for them? Don't want to spend $250+ on a new set.
What about the glovebox? Sounds like maybe someone replaced the ignition and none of the other parts. Try local locksmiths, they are going to be your best bet. Probably no cheaper than new though. Relatively a lot of work to reverse engineer the key from old worn out locks. When people buy our kit of locks/keys, I offer a service of rekeying the hatch and glovebox to match, since those are no longer available.

Edit: having a new key cut, as mentioned below, is certainly an excellent first step in troubleshooting.

Last edited:
could be the keys are just so worn down. the keys i had barely worked the door and ignition, but not the glovebox or hatch. had new keys made by @ToyotaMatt and all the locks work smoothly now.

do you have the key code? if not, you can pull the passenger door cylinder it will have a code stamped on it. You can have a new key made from that code; like new.

I went to my local Toyota dealer, they were able to look up the key code from the VIN (I think they checked my ID against the registration/title or something like that), they made a new key from the code, and it works perfect. It was cheap, only cost ~$20 IIRC.

The key I had originally was a bad copy of a copy(?) or just really worn down, so it didn't open the locks, only worked for the ignition.

I went to my local Toyota dealer, they were able to look up the key code from the VIN (I think they checked my ID against the registration/title or something like that), they made a new key from the code, and it works perfect. It was cheap, only cost ~$20 IIRC.

The key I had originally was a bad copy of a copy(?) or just really worn down, so it didn't open the locks, only worked for the ignition.
Good to know a bad copy acted this way.

Good to know a bad copy acted this way.
I'm guessing the ignition key cylinder was worn down (similar to the old key) after ~25 years, while the door and hatch locks were still very sharp since I have keyless entry and they are rarely used.

What about the glovebox? Sounds like maybe someone replaced the ignition and none of the other parts. Try local locksmiths, they are going to be your best bet. Probably no cheaper than new though. Relatively a lot of work to reverse engineer the key from old worn out locks. When people buy our kit of locks/keys, I offer a service of rekeying the hatch and glovebox to match, since those are no longer available.

Edit: having a new key cut, as mentioned below, is certainly an excellent first step in troubleshooting.
The ignition is definitely replaced and I still have the original they took out. I just tried all the keys on the glovebox and none work. What is the price of your lock set?

could be the keys are just so worn down. the keys i had barely worked the door and ignition, but not the glovebox or hatch. had new keys made by @ToyotaMatt and all the locks work smoothly now.

do you have the key code? if not, you can pull the passenger door cylinder it will have a code stamped on it. You can have a new key made from that code; like new.
I can see a number stamped on the cylinders and all of them are out of the vehicle.

That's more my price range! Did they make a new key for the glovebox and hatch lock for that cost?

That's more my price range! Did they make a new key for the glovebox and hatch lock for that cost?
The dealer made a "master" key which fits all locks, including the glove box and hatch lock. There are two types of keys: "master" and "valet". A valet key works only in the ignition and the door locks. They are same key pattern, except the "master" version has an extra ridge or something like that.

Last edited:

- I can help here providing a set of NEW OEM master Keys machine SST computer cut to your key code , like sharp tru and well nice ...........

- @Delta VS , and his company specializes in re-key of the 80 series LOCKS too ,

- i mainly service and re-key anything FJ62 1990 and older ,

- he does 1991 Later land cruisers 80 series ,and maybe 100 series too the TR47 series ? please inquire with him directly on his services he offers

- on GAME CHANGER service i now offer for a while with EXCELLECT response is USPS Express Mail OVERNIGHT shipping of your NEW FACTORY SST Machine code cut keys .................

- like H55F fast service

- what makes this a DEAL is its ONLY $23.99 USPS best rate directly
thru me on the shipping service fee topic alone , again this is a standard price point and a smacker deal in my opinion ..........

please let me know how i can further help in any way

i also VOUCH 100% for @Delta VS , He is a MUD fellow SUPPORTING VENDOR and a solid place and person to assist your 80 series LOCKS re-kewy servicing as well

kindly matt

90999-00164-R3.png

90999-0016412.jpg

5678 - Copy - Copy11.jpg

140878414602.jpg

fj80 banner1.png

fj80 key 3.jpg

Key banner - Copy4.jpg

Last edited:
- I can help here providing a set of NEW OEM master Keys machine SST computer cut to your key code , like sharp tru and well nice ...........

- @Delta VS , and his company specializes in re-key of the 80 series LOCKS too ,

- i mainly service and re-key anything FJ62 1990 and older ,

- he does 1991 Later land cruisers 80 series ,and maybe 100 series too the TR47 series ? please inquire with him directly on his services he offers

- on GAME CHANGER service i now offer for a while with EXCELLECT response is USPS Express Mail OVERNIGHT shipping of your NEW FACTORY SST Machine code cut keys .................

- like H55F fast service

- what makes this a DEAL is its ONLY $23.99 USPS best rate directly
thru me on the shipping service fee topic alone , again this is a standard price point and a smacker deal in my opinion ..........

please let me know how i can further help in any way

i also VOUCH 100% for @Delta VS , He is a MUD fellow SUPPORTING VENDOR and a solid place and person to assist your 80 series LOCKS re-kewy servicing as well

kindly matt

View attachment 2863405

View attachment 2863406

View attachment 2863409

View attachment 2863403

View attachment 2863408

View attachment 2863407

View attachment 2863404

View attachment 2863410
Dang, a little over the top with the advertising... and I am in the advertising business.

- how many Advertisements do u see above and how many simple OEM Keys Applications to LAND CRUISERS Models ART Banners designed to help Educate the 80 Series Community as a whole about correct various factory OEM key styles do u see above ? 🤔

Please ..........

Last edited:
Reactions: ppc
- how many Advertisements do u see above and how many simple Works of Teq OEM Keys Applications to LAND CRUISERS Models STREET ART Banners designed to help Educate the 80 Series Community as a whole about correct factory key style option do u see above ? 🤔

- simply making 80 series folks aware of a good value in
USPS Express Mail Overnight Shipping , mentioned by a small business based on SOLID Personalized Customer Service and a Higher Level Technical approach to self empower there clients and customers thu Education , whom does NOT have a FOR-PROFIT Shipping business modle approach , Advertising ? 🤣

-

- You start a TECH thread asking for advise and help , and then your ONLY response when you get 100% of the needed technical information you are looking for and asking about , including your wish NOT to spend $250 key point you make , is to comment negatively directly to whom is reporting for Duty and Ready to Serve your needs at a drop of the Hat

Please ..........:rolleyes:

- how many Advertisements do u see above and how many simple Works of Teq OEM Keys Applications to LAND CRUISERS Models STREET ART Banners designed to help Educate the 80 Series Community as a whole about correct factory key style option do u see above ? 🤔

- simply making 80 series folks aware of a good value in
USPS Express Mail Overnight Shipping , mentioned by a small business based on SOLID Personalized Customer Service and a Higher Level Technical approach to self empower there clients and customers thu Education , whom does NOT have a FOR-PROFIT Shipping business modle approach , Advertising ? 🤣

-

- You start a TECH thread asking for advise and help , and then your ONLY response when you get 100% of the needed technical information you are looking for and asking about , including your wish NOT to spend $250 key point you make , is to comment negatively directly to whom is reporting for Duty and Ready to Serve your needs at a drop of the Hat

Please ..........:rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended you, just didn't know what I was looking at the way it was worded. So, you do rekeys for $24? I mail you the cylinders and they are returned with a master key, do I have that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom