91 fj80, 84k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at purchasing a 91 fj80. I am trying to get a rough idea as what a fair price on this particular on may be. Interior is a time capsule, all surfaces look and feel new, no blemishes anywhere. Likewise the exterior looks new, beautiful paint, no evidence of repaint, or fixed body damage. The under carriage is quite dirty, but no grease or fluid leaks. Engine compartment has average dirt and grit. It is an absolute dream to drive, extremely tight and solid. The only mechanical issues I noticed was, when you lock the diff lock and make a turn, the cv's click. Birfs need lubed. mildly rough idle, (probably needs a tune up) and weak brakes. All due to it's life in the garage I would assume. I really don't what a fair price would be. I want the rig (want it bad, it's the holy grail almost) but I don't want to over pay. Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't even know what to offer...what is their asking price? It sounds like it's been well preserved but I would worry depending on how long it sat up for.

Really it's all a factor of how much it's worth to you since one in that kind of shape with low miles is an extreme rarity I don't think there would be any good estimate.

5250.00 max. If it has brown interior its hard to find matching since Toyota isn't making anymore.

fortunately for the seller I'll be paying a bit more than that. Although I did try to get him down to 5500, but he was not budging. He insisted it is worth quite a bit more than his asking. Once the deal is finalized, I'll post pics, and price paid.

fortunately for the seller I'll be paying a bit more than that. Although I did try to get him down to 5500, but he was not budging. He insisted it is worth quite a bit more than his asking. Once the deal is finalized, I'll post pics, and price paid.

This is a tough one because you are buying with emotion and the seller probably can tell you want this rig really bad. Its probably the reason he isnt budging on price. This vehicle while it looks good in appearance, there is just no way to tell what is going on with it. Have you pulled a carfax report on it? Definitely worth the coin. In perfect condition which needs no reconditioning this vehicle would fetch 6K from an individual. This needs some work.

How long has he had it advertised? If it has been on there awhile you can tell him a price you want to pay with cash there today or he can chance hopefully getting an additional 500, 750, 1000 from some possible buyer down the road, or miss the cash you are handing him today and have to sell it for less to someone else.

If the carfax is clean I still wouldnt pay more than 5500.

What color is it? What color is the interior? Check the side panels inside of the cargo area. Remove the cover for the two storage compartments on either side and check for signs of rust or water infiltration. This could be a sign of leaks in either the window seals directly above or the sunroof drains.

Take it on the highway, does the cruise work? Have you tried the 4wd aside from just engaging the CDL? Based on what you said so far, its possible that you will need to service the brakes as well. These are all points of negotiation or areas to be wary of.

I bought my 1991 in 2008 for 3500 (seller was asking 5250). A few months later the tranny went and had to be rebuilt...2700. I also found all sorts of rust in the seat hardware when I was repairing the latches. I didnt notice when I bought it because who looks inside of the seats? But after I bought it it was evident on the mounting brackets and headrest posts too. The seatbelts and their mounting hardware had rust (check yours to make sure they engage, these are 75.00 a piece). Evidently there were several leaks or the idiot left the windows open under a tree for weeks. Or it was left in a garage with the windows open but no environmental control.

My tailgate was missing a screw to mount the hardware arm (just missed it). The spare tire will not lower due to not being used.

Dont get me wrong my rig is awesome and people cant believe its a 91 when they see it. It is cleaner than most on the road. I am just pointing out some things that you could check for before hand.

Good luck!

Are you planning on storing this as a collectors piece or a DD???

If not i'd just look at a higher mileage one. Everyone I personally know with a 3FE 80 series is far north or 200k and they are still chugging along like nothing bothers them. Hell mine is lifted, armored and abused but still runs fine. Still original birfs also.

Last edited:
Are you planning on storing this as a collectors piece or a DD???

If not i'd just look at a higher mileage one. Everyone I personally know with a 3FE 80 series is far north or 200k and they are still chugging along like nothing bothers them. **** mine is lifter, armored and abused but still runs fine. Still original birfs also.

Thats a good point. Plus these are notorious for rough idles but usually you see that well north of 100-150K. This one has 84K and is already showing symptoms.

Just found in San Antonio at a dealer...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...temZ350340537899QQcategoryZ6443QQcmdZViewItem

Just for comparison.

Last edited:
Unless I was looking for a collector piece or it was modified I wouldn't pay more than 2500 for a 3FE 80 series. For a DD a 1fz with better brakes, ABS, airbags and more comfy interior (unless you are tall :D) would be a much better bet. You can also find them lightly modified and some times with lockers for the price you are talking about.

If your interested I just paid for 5 checks on carfax when I only wanted one for the 80 i just bought IF you want PM me the vin and I will search it for ya, Prob not a lot more car buying happening on my side. I quess you could just post it also. Just let me know!

gonna be gone for few hours let me know if I can help!

Unless I was looking for a collector piece or it was modified I wouldn't pay more than 2500 for a 3FE 80 series.

true-dat! I love a 3Fe... But I'd never spend over that on one...

And any miles don't scare me... There are tons in the 300k range...

Paying 5 plus is a premium for a such a low mileage motor...

Ppl get the 3Fe and 1Fz confused all the time... There are tons of uneducated buyers out there... And why pay for a 3Fe for what you can get a 1Fz for? Crazy...

:meh:

5500 max for a DD or collector? The reason for the interest, is my wife and I hope to make it our family vehicle for the next 20-25 years. I would prefer the 1fz, however I'm sure it would be quite a bit more in this condition. I feel it's a pretty good buy at this price, and I don't mind spending $1000 to get her squared away. I'm sure you guys know about that 97 with 42K miles on ebay close for $26k or $27k. This one is that clean, with the exception of issues from sitting around.

I wouldn't put so much stock in what ppl tell you their stuff is worth...

I'd spend some time in the real world and stay away from retail... but that's just me...

You wouldn't spend a thou on a $2500 80 3Fe with 150-250k miles on it to square it away...

How much is a full detail at a car wash? :D

I'll take $15,000 for my rusted 84 4WD flatbed? But that won't make the market on the rest of Toyota trucks come up...

I don't know.

No matter how clean, and low mile, and well taken care of, this is a good chance to step away from C-Clip axles and drum rear brakes. Especially if you see owning this for years.

In the 80, and to me, the only advantage of one with a 3FE is the ability to mod it by bolting on a manual transmission. For all other uses the later ones are better and come with some choice bits as well, like the FF rear, nice wheels and decent brakes.

If you have already decided, have fun. You can always buy an FZJ later and mod this one for fun.

5500 max for a DD or collector? The reason for the interest, is my wife and I hope to make it our family vehicle for the next 20-25 years. I would prefer the 1fz, however I'm sure it would be quite a bit more in this condition. I feel it's a pretty good buy at this price, and I don't mind spending $1000 to get her squared away. I'm sure you guys know about that 97 with 42K miles on ebay close for $26k or $27k. This one is that clean, with the exception of issues from sitting around.

If you want it, go for it; you won't regret it as long as it truly is in near mint condition.

Folks here always undercut everything. :meh:

Pic's once you get it, please!

If you want it, go for it; you won't regret it as long as it truly is in near mint condition.

Folks here always undercut everything. :meh:

Pic's once you get it, please!

I second that, it's a matter of what it's worth to you. I personally wouldn't pay that much but that's me. I would love for mine to last me 20-25 more years and hopefully it will but I paid nothing compared to the $5500 you talked about.

For the age and miles it may be about right but comparing it to a 97 isn't a fair comparison since the 3FE > 1FZ :hillbilly:

since the 3FE > 1FZ :hillbilly:

In what way?:flipoff2: I can think of 2. Fewer Headgasket problems, and boltable to earlier Land Cruiser bellhousings. In every other way it's not as good.

Power: 1FZ
Torque: 1FZ
Smoothness: 1FZ
Economy: Close to equal but 1FZ is more efficient
Cool Factor: 1FZ

Plus the 1FZ has 7 main bearings(4 in the 3FE), and the uber cool oil squirters at the bottom of each piston.

I like the 3FE in my 62, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1FZ.

In what way?:flipoff2: I can think of 2. Fewer Headgasket problems, and boltable to earlier Land Cruiser bellhousings. In every other way it's not as good.

Power: 1FZ
Torque: 1FZ
Smoothness: 1FZ
Economy: Close to equal but 1FZ is more efficient
Cool Factor: 1FZ

Plus the 1FZ has 7 main bearings(4 in the 3FE), and the uber cool oil squirters at the bottom of each piston.

I like the 3FE in my 62, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1FZ.

Shut your mouth with logic and facts! I think I head a head gasket leaking, better go check it :flipoff2:

If I had gotten a 93+ my views may be different but from where I stand the 3FE is king.

Shut your mouth with logic and facts! I.

Damn, I hate logic and facts, too. Especially when my wife uses them against me.(rare, I'll admit).

Nothing wrong with with a 3FE, just it's low tech old school.

Damn, I hate logic and facts, too. Especially when my wife uses them against me.(rare, I'll admit).

Nothing wrong with with a 3FE, just it's low tech old school.

If the world ran out of 3FEs and I needed an engine I would go with a 1FZ (unless a 1HD-T was available) but there is something beautiful about the low tech old school engine that refuses to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom