91 fj80, 84k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's the Tortoise and the Hare, all over a gain... The Tortoise is the 3Fe... and the 1Fz is the Hare...:D

And we all know who'll win it:D

Do you plan to use the 3FE at high altitude much? The 1FZ is no screamer, (without the superchager) but at 5000-10000 ft, I think the 1FZ is easier to drive. If you're going to stay in Arizona or closer to sea level, the 3FE may be more acceptable.

Just for informational purposes, I would love to learn what the carfax report included. Did you take the other poster up on his offer to use one of his "FREE" uses? Would you mind sharing?:meh:

It's the Tortoise and the Hare, all over a gain... The Tortoise is the 3Fe... and the 1Fz is the Hare...:D

And we all know who'll win it:D

The tortoise after the hare's head gasket blows and the tortoise pulls him across the finish line :cool:

... The reason for the interest, is my wife and I hope to make it our family vehicle for the next 20-25 years. ...

For AZ mountain travel I would hold out for a 1FZ. I'm a big fan of F motors,,, in FJ40s, IMHO painful in the '80. Have never owned a FJ80, but several locals do and they are often the slowest of the group on club runs, FJ60's smoke them on mountain pass climbs. But Hilux will say your the winner, if that's important to you?:rolleyes:

The tortoise after the hare's head gasket blows and the tortoise pulls him across the finish line :cool:

so you read that story too? :cool:

One of the alternate endings was the Hare had to stop too many times for gas:lol:

so you read that story too? :cool:

One of the alternate endings was the Hare had to stop too many times for gas:lol:

Are you attempting to say that the 3FE gets good gas mileage?:rolleyes: Maybe, somewhere, but not here. We often run large groups on club runs and the 1FZ's always get better mileage than the 3FE's. The 1FE is a more efficient motor, makes more power while using the same amount or less gas. My experience is, if I flog mine to it's normal capacity, I get about the same mileage as they do. If I'm going slow, waiting on a 3FE to catchup, they are flogging to keep up, I get better mileage than they do.

The 3FE rigs are painfully slow in the mountains, if a 1FZ rig is driven as slow as a 3FE rig has to go, the 1FZ gets pretty good mileage.:hillbilly:

Never seen a 1FE tools :grinpimp:

But yes a 3FE is more thirsty. a 3FE will often get smoke by a 60 in mpg and speed. The auto stealing whatever power advantage we have is the main reason.

Are you attempting to say that the 3FE gets good gas mileage?:rolleyes: Maybe, somewhere, but not here. We often run large groups on club runs and the 1FZ's always get better mileage than the 3FE's. The 1FE is a more efficient motor, makes more power while using the same amount or less gas. My experience is, if I flog mine to it's normal capacity, I get about the same mileage as they do. If I'm going slow, waiting on a 3FE to catchup, they are flogging to keep up, I get better mileage than they do.

The 3FE rigs are painfully slow in the mountains, if a 1FZ rig is driven as slow as a 3FE rig has to go, the 1FZ gets pretty good mileage.:hillbilly:

I can't have this conversation with you... B/c how many ppl on both sides have the proper equipment installed to make the test accurate?

i.e how many ppl (on both sides) have the gears that match their tires closest to stock? Or new, or newish O2 sensors?

This is why I hate ANY conversation about gas or power...

Everybody's got an opinion...

Me, I don't care... I wouldn't drive an 80 to care about mileage...

But yes a 3FE is more thirsty. a 3FE will often get smoke by a 60 in mpg and speed. The auto stealing whatever power advantage we have is the main reason.

whoa dude... your post is blowing my mind....

Don't Fj60's have the 2F? And 3Fe 62's have the A440?

:confused: EDIT: I think I got it...

Also gotta acknowledge the fact it's (3Fe) de-stroked a 1/4 of an inch...

An Auto, AWD and de-stroked does not a happy Fj80 make:D

Last edited:
hey, thanks for the responses. I have been in the field since Monday, I'll post vin and pics tomorrow. It's a great rig, drove it home today, and as much as I loved my wife's 1fz, I am a sucker for the "old school low tech" and a ridiculously clean truck :grinpimp:

hey, thanks for the responses. I have been in the field since Monday, I'll post vin and pics tomorrow. It's a great rig, drove it home today, and as much as I loved my wife's 1fz, I am a sucker for the "old school low tech" and a ridiculously clean truck :grinpimp:

Hope you didnt get taken to the cleaners! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom