91 FJ80 3FE No Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IT'S NOT THE EFI RELAY

I haven't driven the Cruiser in 3-4 days and went out to the garage to move it. When I turned the key on, I got a click and noted that the voltage gauge was low and my Luna battery meter was low. I got my meter out and checked the battery voltage and it is at 12.6V. However, when I turn the key to ACC, the meter in the truck drops to nothing like the battery is dead. I tried to jump start it and still couldn't get it to turn over. I changed the EFI relay and that didn't do anything. I pull out my Battery Tender and it charged for about 5 mins and clicked off. Everything seems to point to a dead battery, but my meter reads a steady 12.6V with the key off or when it's in the ACC position.

Thoughts on what to try next?

Meter can read 12 volts because it is a 12 volt battery. A meter does not tell you if the battery is charged enough to support the amps needed to start. So it could be your battery.

Last edited:
^^^yep. Just because it says 12v, that doesn't mean that you have enough Amps to crank the starter. I would try to jump it and then drive to auto part store to test battery and possibly alternator.

Sounds like your starter is on the fritz… Can you have someone tap the starter while you are turning the key? Sorry if you tried this or have already ruled this out...

Well, it turned out to be a loose battery terminal. I pulled the off, gave them a clean (they had no corrosion, just a little dirty) and the truck is starting no problem. At least it wasn't something expensive.

I love free repairs! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom