91 died and left me standed :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
coming home from work last night the engine died. it would turn over but wouldn't crank. at first i thought it was the EFI relay, but i replaced it and still nothing so i had it towed home. anything simple i should be looking for? i'm trying to find my FSM and get started on it. its kinda wierd but i also lost my headlights and tail lights but all the fuses are good. i'm lost

turned out to be a fusable link, i replaced it and it fired right up. then blew the link again but this time i noticed the altenator was smoking. i think i'm in over my head here

Budd said:
turned out to be a fusable link, i replaced it and it fired right up. then blew the link again but this time i noticed the altenator was smoking. i think i'm in over my head here

No you're not. Good catch noticing the alt. smoking; that's probably it, or rather the regulator inside the alt. One of the ways a 3FE alt. dies is by sending out voltage spikes and yes, popping headlights. The fusible link did exactly what it was supposed to do. Pull that alt. and get it tested. When you replace it, do not mess with aftermarket.

Oh, the alt can be a pain to remove; pulling the smog pump (I think you can leave the hoses connected) adds a little more time but makes it a lot easier. I think I pulled the top radiator hose too... Anyway, post up if you get stuck.

Good luck,

Curtis

CJF said:
No you're not. Good catch noticing the alt. smoking; that's probably it, or rather the regulator inside the alt. One of the ways a 3FE alt. dies is by sending out voltage spikes and yes, popping headlights. The fusible link did exactly what it was supposed to do. Pull that alt. and get it tested. When you replace it, do not mess with aftermarket.

Oh, the alt can be a pain to remove; pulling the smog pump (I think you can leave the hoses connected) adds a little more time but makes it a lot easier. I think I pulled the top radiator hose too... Anyway, post up if you get stuck.

Good luck,

Curtis

Its a whole lot easier when you dont have a fan shroud. :D

He is correct. Get the alt tested. Mine spiked one day, and I had the same problem. Mine didnt start smoking though. That would be sorta creepy. Not unheard of though.....I had a voltage regulator go in my trailduster and melt half my dash. :eek:

I've heard about the fusible link in a couple of other threads. Where is this located?

Thanks,
Rookie2

Thought maybe Budd would get this for you...

It's the little black box on the positive battery cable, right after it leaves the battery. Basically a low tech, high amp fuse.

Curtis

The fusable link blows due to over-current, not over-voltage. If it's a high-mileage alternator, the brushes probably were worn down and the springs hit the rotor slipring. When that happens, if the wrong side of rotor is shorted to ground, the alternator goes to full output, which then took out the fusable link, but not before the rectifier toasted. You'll probably need all new alternator guts, or start with a fresh unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom