91 Adding Seat Heater(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been researching several threads on adding a seat heater or heaters to my 91 FJ80 . I have the replacement seat bottom covers & cushions for the driver's side (passenger side is OK). I may only do the driver's side. I have pulled my console and found a single plug. I suspect it may be for the console fridge, but do not know. Plug has 2 rows of pins - one row had 5 plug holes and only 4 plugs, second row has 3 plug holes and only one plug (all female). Will this plug handle a seat heater or two? What fuse is it on the fuse diagram? I have been researching my wiring diagrams - I think it may be connector BM3, but not idea what fuse is associated with this connector. I am also considering adding a cigarette lighter power outlet and possible USB outlet. a follow up question may concern wiring harness downstream of this connection.
Thanks for any help

I'm just a dubber for all things electrical, but I believe you'll be better served by running a dedicated line to the seat heater circuit. Then you know for sure the wiring will handle the current load, not just a fuse in some random circuit you found in the dash.

Any help on this topic.
Reminder I have the 91 - so the seat heater plugs are not under the console.
Looking for info on the plug under the console for the fridge:
Can it handle a single seat's worth of seat-heater?
Will it be denergized when the car is off and key removed (I think so based upon what I have learned reading)?
What fuse is it and in which box? - If I know this info I can figure out the load question myself

If the fridge plug is a no-go. Info on the seat heater circuit (do I have a seat heater circuit in a 91?)

Any reason I cannot re-purpose a rear heater switch for the seats? It has "Hi" and "Lo" just like the seat heaters. Plus the seat heater switches seem to have some precious metal internals based upon the prices.

I tapped into the rear heater blower circuit to power the seat heaters in my LX450. It's a 20 amp circuit, so there's no issues. I used OEM seat heater switches on mine, but I'm sure you could make other switches work. There's also good ground points available under the center console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom