'91 AC fan motor speed issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.andrewsshizzle.com
Figured it was resister coils..
it's not, just replaced it. I reliably have speed 3, usually 1 and 2 also. going to 4 the fan slows down, doesn't quit altogether, although I though that it was, but might have been road noise kept me from hearing that and for that matter speed 1 and 2, I rarely can feel speed 1 through the vents..

Fan speed selector switch?

along these lines, when I had the coil out I noticed it is full of wet leaves and s***.. what's the best way to get access to the evaporator coils to clean them out?

Thanks

A

I have the same issue. I replaced my switch, but it didn't fix it. Also, to replace it you have to pull the ENTIRE dash then crack open the control module to get to the switch, so I would do that last. I only did mine cause I was swapping in a new dash.

There is a good thread on trouble shooting over in the 79-95 section. I think my next step is going to be chasing down the relay, and grounds, etc to make sure it is not the motor itself.

Keep us posted on what you find because this is on my todo list also.

Blower High Relay. Behind driver side kick panel. There will be a junction block with six relays, look above that at the two round relays. These two relays are the same size. The one on the left is the Cooling Fan Relay (for engine compartment), the one on the right is the Blower High Relay.

If you know that your engine compartment fan works pull that relay and put it in place of the Blower High Relay. If your (in cabin) fan works on high after that buy another relay and replace.

Five minute diagnosis, five second fix (after you get another relay)

HTH

Thanks,

I guess I will be sending more money to GA on Monday. To bad I didn't get it in with my order for a new fan clutch last week.

Blower High Relay. Behind driver side kick panel. There will be a junction block with six relays, look above that at the two round relays. These two relays are the same size. The one on the left is the Cooling Fan Relay (for engine compartment), the one on the right is the Blower High Relay.

If you know that your engine compartment fan works pull that relay and put it in place of the Blower High Relay. If your (in cabin) fan works on high after that buy another relay and replace.

Five minute diagnosis, five second fix (after you get another relay)

HTH

sweet, thanks, as soon as the lady is back from the Gym I'll check that out, my engine bay fan works..
(She's driving the beast because the Jeep has malaria or something, it's been puking out tranny fluid in the driveway for a week or so and refuses to move..)

A

That did it..

I'm almost certain that I had NO blow at one point. I wonder if my relay and my coils went bad at the same time, or over the last couple weeks. the ceramic around the coils is cracked on my old set..

gotta put some miles on it, the only way to know for sure I guess..

a

That did it..

I'm almost certain that I had NO blow at one point. I wonder if my relay and my coils went bad at the same time, or over the last couple weeks. the ceramic around the coils is cracked on my old set..

gotta put some miles on it, the only way to know for sure I guess..

a

I'm glad that worked for you. :) I'm almost sure that Jon Held pointed me in the right direction when this happened to me, so I can't take credit. Just passing on something I learned from MUD.

well.. just had a 100 mile trip with no probs with fan speed.. since the lady is driving the beast, I hope the problem is licked.
nothing like a hot pissed off GF to get yer ass motivated..

a

I'm glad that worked for you. :) I'm almost sure that Jon Held pointed me in the right direction when this happened to me, so I can't take credit. Just passing on something I learned from MUD.

Glad you did, It just worked for me. My first fast diag and first MUD, super fast and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom