91-92 vs 93-97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I own/have owned many Toyota compacts and I am now looking at landcruisers because my family is getting too big for a 4Runner. I have read the FAQ's and stuff here on the various models. I have found a fairly close 91 for sale in excellent exterior and interior condition. It has every conceivable option. The driveability seems to be good as well.

My question is, for those of you who have owned BOTH FJ80 powerplants (4.0 and 4.5) Would you pass up a good deal on a 91 in favor of continuing your search for a 93-97?

The vehicle has 191000 on it and the asking price is $4400.

I am not asking for a discussion on options such as ABS, Airbags, elockers, and the like. Just mainly an ownership satisfaction rating of the two models and if it is worth waiting for (and paying more for) a newer model in your opinion after your ownership experience with both.

This is to be momma's car mainly on road use. I might add that I have never driven a 4.5, and I find the 4.0 to be sluggish on acceleration but satisfactory at highway speeds.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well...my 3FE (1991 FJ80) is being ripped out next weekend so that the 12H-T can go in and take its place. If I HAD to stick to a gas motor, I would not buy the 3FE. It would be the FZJ80 for sure...the A442 tranny also seems to be smoother than my clunky A440. My 2 cents anyway...the availability of the front and rear diff locks is a nice bonus.

The 3FE in the 80 is very sluggish and sucks back the fuel.

As long as "Momma" isn't Shirly Muldowny(SP) the drag race champion, you should be "good to go" with the '91. 80 series of all years are extremely durable. Price may be a little high for the mileage, though. NADA has it for $4425 clean retail, you might be able to deal.

And oh, welcome to MUD:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Did you check out the post on top: Thinking of buying an 80, and newbies check here 1st
each powerplant has its pros and cons if your holding out for the FZE see if the headgasket has been done as it may or may not fail in the future I have a 94 with the FZE and appreciate the xtra power when I need it
welcome:flipoff2:

Did you check out the post on top: Thinking of buying an 80, and newbies check here 1st
each powerplant has its pros and cons if your holding out for the FZE see if the headgasket has been done as it may or may not fail in the future I have a 94 with the FZE and appreciate the xtra power when I need it
welcome:flipoff2:

For your needs the 91 sounds like it would b fine. Although, I would hold out personally. I love my 94.

As I said in my first post I did read the FAQ's. Including the Newbies start here and buying an 80 topics.

I was soliciting comments from owners about the overall ownership experience.

For example, if you had both versions side by side, identical mileage and condition, how much more would you be willing to pay for the newer truck?

As I said in my first post I did read the FAQ's. Including the Newbies start here and buying an 80 topics.

I was soliciting comments from owners about the overall ownership experience.

For example, if you had both versions side by side, identical mileage and condition, how much more would you be willing to pay for the newer truck?

Zero.

Head gasket issue and timing belt maintenance every 80-90k make it an easy choice for this 3fe owner. Plus I live on flat land. :D
I have driven a 97 LX for a summer, yes it has more power but wouldn't consider it to be powerful by today's standards.

BUT if you're looking for a "momma vehicle", then i would choose the newer 80 despite the added maintenance solely for the safety features. Gotta take care of momma!

Kristopher,

I've owned 4 of the FJ80's in the past and currently own two of the '91s. I don't think the 93-97's are worth that much of a premium. There is a "little" more power, but both series are very under-powered relative to today's expectations.

The one thing that I've done to the 91-92 series is upgrade brakes. That's a more serious deficiency in my mind than the power thing-- better pads and rotors, with stainless lines, is a must for better pedal feel and stopping power. Even better is to go to one of the after-market brake kits that will get you better calipers.

The plus of the 3FE is better torque and the fact that those motors are bullet-proof. Mileage is a push.

$4400 is too much, though. Should be mid-$3ks for that kind of mileage. Use the grand you save to put better brakes on it.

wouldn't 91-92 / 93-94 / 95-97 be the best comparisons? i know 93-97 has the diff lock options, ABS etc, but some significant changes were made in 95sh (OBDII, interior, air bags, etc)...BTW to my knowledge, ALLL 95's have OBDII (mine is Jan 95 and has OBDII)

snip-The plus of the 3FE is better torque and the fact that those motors are bullet-proof.-snip

Better than what??? The 3FE is rated at 220 lb-ft @ 3000 RPM. The 1FZ is rated at 275 lb-ft @ 3200 RPM. The 1FZ develops almost 3/4ths of it's rated torque just above idle. It's a kick ass off road engine from any angle.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere that '95 was the transition year from from partial OBD-II to full OBD-II , sometime in '95.

I could be (and probably am) wrong though...

As for me I would choose a '96(full OBD-II for sure, maybe) or a '97, just so I can run Scangauge.

My $0.02.

My question is, for those of you who have owned BOTH FJ80 powerplants (4.0 and 4.5) Would you pass up a good deal on a 91 in favor of continuing your search for a 93-97?

When we made the change from a FJ80 to a FZJ80 the first thing my wife noticed was the improvement in braking. The difference, even in routine driving, is significant enough to be a deal breaker. I wouldn't pass up a FJ80 solely based on the engine but when considering the whole package and relatively small difference in price the FZJ is the way to go.

My 91 has 250,000 plus miles,it has been excellent.If the price and con. is right ,buy it. Mike

I've read somewhere that '95 was the transition year from from partial OBD-II to full OBD-II , sometime in '95.

I could be (and probably am) wrong though...

As for me I would choose a '96(full OBD-II for sure, maybe) or a '97, just so I can run Scangauge.

My $0.02.

Yeah, I thought the same mot (having heard the same thing about the partial obdI transition year). however, i haven't actually come across anybody that had a "partial" obd system on this forum? dunno, maybe they are out there, but my 95 is OBDII equipped and so is brian4x4 for example, who has a 1995.

i know that right around 95-96, i think, obdII became required in the states.

edit - should note that anytime i post anything, there is an absolute chance I am absolutely wrong :flipoff2:

I have no trouble stopping my cruiser fully loaded with a 20ft Glastron and 5 kids.But i do most of my own work. Mike

Better than what??? The 3FE is rated at 220 lb-ft @ 3000 RPM. The 1FZ is rated at 275 lb-ft @ 3200 RPM. The 1FZ develops almost 3/4ths of it's rated torque just above idle. It's a kick ass off road engine from any angle.
I'll stand corrected on torque at idle-- I've never seen the torque curve for the 1FZ, usually all that's published is the spec at peak at 3200 RPM. The 3FE is supposed to deliver most of its 220 ft-lbs from idle and there's an impression out there that the 'Firetruck Engine' (Isn't that that FE in 3FE?) is a workhorse at low speed. It runs out of steam by 3000 though, with low compression and pushrod valve train.

I'm spoiled now because the Atlas conversion in my favorite FJ80 is so much stronger than either the 3FE or the 1FZ. With VVT we get great torque from idle and it doesn't run out of breath up toward redline.

I'll stand corrected on torque at idle-- I've never seen the torque curve for the 1FZ, usually all that's published is the spec at peak at 3200 RPM. The 3FE is supposed to deliver most of its 220 ft-lbs from idle and there's an impression out there that the 'Firetruck Engine' (Isn't that that FE in 3FE?) is a workhorse at low speed. It runs out of steam by 3000 though, with low compression and pushrod valve train.

In a publication called "Modern Motor", Dec. '92 in an article called "S-Class of the outback", the author Brian Woodward, was drooling over the new (then) 1FZ engine and reported that torque rating 373 Nm (Metric) eliminated the competition. But what really impressed him was that 305 Nm was available at idle. Not sure what that translates in foot pounds but it's between 2/3rds and 3/4ths of the max torque rating at idle. It's that low end torque that really defines usable power in off roading.
Edit: 305 Nm = 225 lbs-ft. So the 1FZ starts out at idle 5 lbs-ft more than max on 3FE and keeps climbing to it's max at 3200 RPM. (275 lbs-ft.)

Last edited:

I'm spoiled now because the Atlas conversion in my favorite FJ80 is so much stronger than either the 3FE or the 1FZ. With VVT we get great torque from idle and it doesn't run out of breath up toward redline.

3FE has nothing to do with Firetruck, IIRC the F is the engine family, E indicates fuel injection.

The 3FE and 1FZ curves.
attachment.php

1FZ_Engine_curve.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom