90's era automotive sensors technical info document or links? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 97 land cruiser and i'm interested in learning about the various sensors in the vehicle. mostly i am just curious about these kinds of things.
is there some kind of technical document that explains the different types snd how they work?

i've gone through the factory service manual and there are very precise diagrams showing where they are located but i'd be interested - well in sort of an FSM for the actual sensor. something that shows a diagram and what the components are for each one and what they do.

anyway, i did see in the toyota factory documentation that i guess you csn get access to that there was a big document for types of toyota electrical connectors. is there such a thing fir the sensors?

THANKS

I'm new to Toyota's, but for all of my German cars, I found this book to be awfully helpful! I have a copy of it at home, and can check it out and see how much help it might be if you'd like?

Bosch Fuel Injectoin and Engine Management.
oh. thanks very much for that. i'll buy it and make my way through it. i assume it has info about the various engine sensors...

Yeah, it's totally just basics of engine management. If I recall correctly, it starts with CIS (A common fuel injection system in lots of German cars from the late 70's through the mid 80's), and also goes through the Jetronic series (early EFI, with no o2 sensors, so no feedback loop. It's all based on an airflow meter and throttle position), and into Motronic, which is a proper modern EFI system that runs pretty much everything from VW to Porsche to BMW from the 90's on. If you want, I can double-check tonight. I know it had CIS and Jetronic, as my 78 VW Bus uses L-Jetronic.

95% of sensors are running a 0-5v.
O2 (early, not widebands) run a 0-1 v
Some Ford garbage(typically MAF) uses a hertz signal.

Keep in mind your ecu isn't magic its just taking simple info from one area and reapplying simple info to another.

Google is your friend (not really, but you get the point)

Yeah, it's totally just basics of engine management. If I recall correctly, it starts with CIS (A common fuel injection system in lots of German cars from the late 70's through the mid 80's), and also goes through the Jetronic series (early EFI, with no o2 sensors, so no feedback loop. It's all based on an airflow meter and throttle position), and into Motronic, which is a proper modern EFI system that runs pretty much everything from VW to Porsche to BMW from the 90's on. If you want, I can double-check tonight. I know it had CIS and Jetronic, as my 78 VW Bus uses L-Jetronic.
for under $30 i can just buy it and find time to read it. i APPRECIATE your weighing in on the topic.

For sure! Hopefully you find it helpful! I know I really liked the book when I bought it 10 years ago, but I also have old German cars... Now, it's less helpful to me, as my fleet is 3/4 diesel (including my 1HDT 80).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom