90 toyota pickup 3.0 mass air flow issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djcfj40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys,
I have a customer that brought me a 90 pickup 3.0 v6 that was a real mess. Had the typical melted wiring harness by the egr valve. I 've got all of that fixed along with a dozen other issues, but I'm dealing now with a bad mass air flow sensor. Having a bear of a time finding a good replacement. All I've been able to find new or reman are the chinese knock offs and I've had 2 that actually were worse than the one I have. I got lucky and found a used sensor that will at least let the truck start and idle fine, it just cuts out on acceleration. I've tried cleaning the sweep area with a q-tip and alcohol but didnt help a bit.
Does anyone know where I can get a good new, remand or even used mass air flow sensor ???
Hope someone can help.
Thanks, Dave

Hi guys,
I have a customer that brought me a 90 pickup 3.0 v6 that was a real mess. Had the typical melted wiring harness by the egr valve. I 've got all of that fixed along with a dozen other issues, but I'm dealing now with a bad mass air flow sensor. Having a bear of a time finding a good replacement. All I've been able to find new or reman are the chinese knock offs and I've had 2 that actually were worse than the one I have. I got lucky and found a used sensor that will at least let the truck start and idle fine, it just cuts out on acceleration. I've tried cleaning the sweep area with a q-tip and alcohol but didnt help a bit.
Does anyone know where I can get a good new, remand or even used mass air flow sensor ???
Hope someone can help.
Thanks, Dave
Delete please
Can I ask why it should be deleted? Did I do something wrong?

Can I ask why it should be deleted? Did I do something wrong?
I suspect he posted, changed his mind, and deleted his thoughts. I don't think he was talking about deleting the thread. @liveoak ?

he wasn't. he was just explaining nomenclature

looks like there are meters on ebay.
are you certain its the meter and not wiring or something?

he wasn't. he was just explaining nomenclature

looks like there are meters on ebay.
are you certain its the meter and not wiring or something?
Ok, MAF vs. AFM.

I've tried 2 of the "chineseum" ones . One from ebay and one from amazon. Both had the same horrible result. they were actually worse than the one I have. I got lucky and found a used one locally off of a 4 runner and now it fires right up and idles just fine but cuts out on acceleration. I've tried taking the black plastic cover off of my original, the ebay one and the used one and tried cleaning the contacts and the sweep area with contact cleaner and alcohol on a q-tip. I checked them with an ohm meter from pin 3 to pin 5 and the original and used ones at least seem to be a consistent change of resistance but have blank spots. The Ebay and amazon ones were just garbage. The resistance values on the amazon one wasn't even close to either of the genuine Toyota units. The Ebay one ohmed open circuit. I ended up finding a spot that wasn't soldered. I fixed that but still not even worth bolting on . Now waiting to see if I can get a refund on either of them.

Could this be an option? I have contemplated this, just haven't pulled the trigger. More air at high altitude where I live makes this pretty interesting. Maybe old parts as well, but options are what old rigs are all about sometimes. Best of luck.

7mge VAFM swap for the 3vze​

That's super interesting Colorado Boy.. I can see that being a viable option. Just wander if it's going to be a different ghost chase trying to find those parts.
Im going to do some searching tomorrow and see .
Thanks for the help !

Not to be selfish, but what did you find? I'm down the 80 series desmog rabbit hole at the moment. If you feel this is still a viable option, I may have to pull the trigger on this project for my truck.

Haven’t done anything just yet. Toyota Matt says he should be able to help me with a new or used stock MAF. Just waiting to hear back from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom