90 k Maintenance Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my question. My local dealer will now do my 180k for $1373.59. A local, very reputable cruiser shop will do it for a little over $1600. The local shop includes 4 labor hours of full vehicle evaluation where they literally go over the thing with a fine tooth comb. This covers some of the inspection stuff in the 90k, but goes quite a bit further. What would you do? Do you think it is worth the extra money? Also, the local shop is an hour drive; so with gas prices, i am looking at even more $$.

If you plan on keeping it spend the extra $$ if you honestly can trust them.

From reading on here things start to go around then. Tie rods, bushings etc etc.

Keep in mind if they find something, that 1600 can jump up.

c.

Keep in mind if they find something, that 1600 can jump up.

I know. Thats kinda scary. And yes, they are VERY trustworthy. And yes, i am hoping for 300k out of it.

a few comments:
- To compare apples to apples as much as possible get a complete listing of what parts/services are included in both 90k jobs. I'll bet they're not exactly the same.

- I would assume the dealership uses OEM, but I would not assume that the indie shop does - if you have them doing the work make sure they're using oem parts.

- If the extra 230 is a not a deal breaker (everyone has a different pain tolerance when it comes to money) I certainly wouldn't mind paying an extra 230 for a person I trust doing the work. Sometimes quality comes at a price (although paying more doesn't always equal higher quality) - sloppy work costs more than $230 in pain in the ass factor.

- if you're looking for the lowest price, I'm pretty sure you can do better than 1373 even in this area. There are a few factors that go into the price and people often make the false assumption when comparing 90k service prices, that they're getting the same thing for different dollar amounts. There's the service and parts being replaced - some replace more some replace less, some include fluid changes that others dont, there's the labor and charging practices (dealerships will usually have higher hourly rates and they charge same rate for a job regardless of how long it takes, other shops charge by the honest hour), and there's the brand of parts - some will cheap out on critical parts and others use OEM parts (or better if that applies).

- if you can get the 90k service done cheaper somewhere else altogether, and then bring in your rig to the trusted local shop and pay for the 4 hour inspection, maybe you can have your cake and eat it too... That 4 hours of labor of inspection doesn't come free - it could be the reason they charge 230 more...

- even if the 230 is no object, I would still want to have a complete list of what both shops are doing for the money - it's possible the local shop you trust is not doing EVERYTHING you might have expected for the 1600. At the end of the day though I'm with 04UZJ100 - I'd pay the extra bucks just to know a trusted mechanic/shop is doing the work.

- Which shops are you comparing, btw?

The indie shop is using all OEM parts. And both shops included all fluid changes. Right now i am between IPOR and Alexandria Toyota. You know any better options? Thanks for the advice.

IPOR all the way. Dedicated Cruiserheads and shops will always get my business over the 19 year old hack job working on his first 4.7L...

The indie shop is using all OEM parts. And both shops included all fluid changes. Right now i am between IPOR and Alexandria Toyota. You know any better options? Thanks for the advice.

For the timing belt portion of the job are they both replacing all the same parts?

As far as other shops, not sure if there are *better* options, but maybe cheaper, so if you're trying to shop around check these places too:
- pohanka lexus in chantilly
- chantilly repair center (www.chantillyrepaircenter.com)
- toyota shops will have lower hourly rates than the lexus dealerships. There's a bunch of toyota dealers in the wash/metropolitan area Toyota Dealer Locator Search - Find Toyota Dealer
- any here? https://forum.ih8mud.com/va-dc-md-c...ervice-parts-tools-supplies-services-etc.html

Thanks for the help. i guess when i think about it, I really am looking for the "best" so in that case, i agree with beno. Having some 19 year old's hands inside of her just feels wrong. I would much rather have guys i know and who equally love LCs. I will still call around and see what i can find.

IPOR. Dealerships are great for most vehicles if you want comprehensive service, but I regard TLC's as "specialty" vehicles of a sort. They are different enough in both how they are built and how they perform that I don't think the run-of-the-mill Toyota tech has a complete grasp on how to properly service them. That's not meant to slight the Toyota techs at all, it's just that TLC's ain't your grandma's Camry, plain and simple. They require more expertise.

i agree with all of the above. Thanks for pushing me over the edge. It really is the way to go with a vehicle i love and want for 8-10 more years. And to think of some kid i have never met removing her timing belt. It sickens me. I will go outside and apologize to the lx now.

i agree with all of the above. Thanks for pushing me over the edge. It really is the way to go with a vehicle i love and want for 8-10 more years. And to think of some kid i have never met removing her timing belt. It sickens me. I will go outside and apologize to the lx now.

Look, some dealerships are great others arent. Every now and then you'll walk into a dealer that knows what a cruiser was is and might even have a cruiserhead to boot.

I paid a fortune at our dealer for full 90k service and complete transmission fluid exchange. It was worth it because it was done correctly, and for my area, the only place to trust.

Do any of you know of a "dedicated Cruiserhead" shop in the central Indiana area? I've been working with Butler Toyota since my first 4Runner in 1998 and I trust them as well. Of course they have the up-selling service that you have to take with a grain of salt on occasion.

:cheers:

Does the IPOR quote include the water pump? That's the sort of thing that the dealership might ignore since it is not specifically called for until 120k, but doing it now will save you some dough in the longer term.

Does the IPOR quote include the water pump? That's the sort of thing that the dealership might ignore since it is not specifically called for until 120k, but doing it now will save you some dough in the longer term.

This is a great point, and another reason to do a tit-for-tat comparison to make sure the job is done the way you want it to be done. That could also be another reason why IPOR is slightly more expensive. If I had to guess, I'd say that IPOR would include it...but I don't guess with my cars. ;) If you haven't already, give them a call.

For service comparisons work, unfortunately you can't assume the dealer uses OEM parts. I stopped going to my local dealer as soon as I found cheap Carquest parts on my last 80. Turns out they use Carquest for parts that are available aftermarket, but don't tell customers. Always ask about parts source/brand, even at dealers, when doing price comparisons.

Sandroad said:
For service comparisons work, unfortunately you can't assume the dealer uses OEM parts. I stopped going to my local dealer as soon as I found cheap Carquest parts on my last 80. Turns out they use Carquest for parts that are available aftermarket, but don't tell customers. Always ask about parts source/brand, even at dealers, when doing price comparisons.

is that acceptable for a dealership to do like from a toyota hq standpoint? if a shop/dealership is straight up cheating customers you cant really trust them when they say they're using oem either and s*** how do you even know they did the work that was itemized and listed?

i guess i'm wondering if this was a one off rogue dealership or whether this is officially acceptable for any toyota or lexus dealership to use non oem parts? anyone know?

Last edited:
agaisin said:
is that acceptable for a dealership to do like from a toyota hq standpoint? if a shop/dealership is straight up cheating customers cant really trust them when they say they're using oem either and s*** how do yiu even know they did the work that was itemized and listed?

i guess i'm wondering if this was a one off rogue dealership or whether this is officially acceptable for any toyota or lexus dealership to use non oem parts? anyone know?

Completely acceptable as long as it is disclosed.

We frequently use aftermarket parts if a Toyota version is not in stock and the job needs to be done--especially on older vehicles where parts support is no longer available.

That said, it is the service writer's duty to disclose this and let the customer decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom