9 mile trip... Towing Capacity. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m picking up an 05 Sequoia tomorrow to tow my current boat to the ramp and back in summer, and for a winter truck. My current boat is about 5000lb, so I’m not worried about it at all. But I’m thinking about upgrading to something potentially in the 7000lb area.

The obvious answer is the sequoia can’t do it, it’s rated for 6200lb. But this is 9 miles on back roads going 30mph, dead flat and dead straight. I’ve got a trailer brake controller and air bags to level the rear. I’ll also probably have a brand spanking new hitch installed just in case as the factory one has a little surface rust. Frame was replaced under recall 2 years ago. And I can use 4wd low on the ramp if I really need it. I just wonder if those trailer limits assume highway driving speeds and if the capacity more or less technically goes up the slower and flatter you drive.

Worst case... I’ve got a snorkel as well.

How steep is the ramp? That may get ya. Watch You Tube ‘Boating fails’ for some fun.

800 pounds over, one time trip, zero possibility of hurting someone else I might try it. See how it sits loaded.

edit: What is “7000 area” if more than 7K pounds I wouldn’t do it. Borrow a Tundra or F250.

Last edited:
How steep is the ramp? That may get ya. Watch You Tube ‘Boating fails’ for some fun.

800 pounds over, one time trip, zero possibility of hurting someone else I might try it. See how it sits loaded.

edit: What is “7000 area” if more than 7K pounds I wouldn’t do it. Borrow a Tundra or F250.
Well that’s the fun part, you never really know with boats. Most weights are without the motor and dry. They say guess 220lb/foot with a cabin cruiser. So with a 22’ I’ve got plenty of room. 23, 24? Maybe not so much.

Is it going in for the season? For a price a boat dealer would move it for you. But you are just contemplating right now.

If you buy you can have the boat and trailer weighed at a truck depot/ shipping operation. Anywhere they weigh trucks. You need to unhitch the trailer from the truck, just raise the hitch off the ball to get the correct weight.

That certifies the weight to give to the cops if they stop you.

Is it going in for the season? For a price a boat dealer would move it for you. But you are just contemplating right now.

If you buy you can have the boat and trailer weighed at a truck depot/ shipping operation. Anywhere they weigh trucks. You need to unhitch the trailer from the truck, just raise the hitch off the ball to get the correct weight.

That certifies the weight to give to the cops if they stop you.
Good info to have, thanks. I wish it were going for the season; no slips available for something like ten years around me. So my only option is to trailer. I'm gonna operate within its limits more or less, but I think if I find something that will weigh a max of 7k wet then I may give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom