9-11 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big Ed

SILVER Star
Threads
I went to the Vet Center today for a 9-11 ceremony, it helped put things into perspective for me. I got to visit with other veterans I haven't seen in some time. The ceremony was well put on, all the staff participated. They had everyone sing along on the star Spangled Banner, and the National Anthem. They read poems, released doves, and had a bugler play taps. Then lunch was served, and more visiting. There were representatives from many veteran organizations, and a spokesperson from the VA Hospital.

The last time I tried to go to a gathering at the Vet Center, I had to leave. It was too much for me, too many people, too congested. Once in a while something happens that shows my progress, even my counselor noted it.

Last edited:
This was read first.

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were Treated and Appreciated by their nation.

-President George Washington.

since 2001 we have the kids go outside in two columns (like the towers) then at 10:28 we have a moment of silence and students lead us in the star spangled banner... an emotional tribute

My brother is on the NYPD and was there when it happened... He had just worked to midnight when a call came from a buddy in the morning.... he hungup thinking he was F-ing with him.... his friend called again then came by and picked him up (they live on eastern LI)

The long island expressway was closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles and responders/officers inbound to the towers... it was the fastest they had ever drove to the city... and said to mom "you dont want to know how fast" they were redlining the hyundai (somewhere 120-125 MPH) my brother was calling others to wake them during the drive... they were shutting down the city and assigned to subway patrols and were not too far away when 7 came down later in the day

It was a scary time .... and am very pleased to see the remembering

a PDF from our first 9-11 remembered day:

Attachments

• Goff - 9-11 Ceremony (09-14-11).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
Thanks for sharing your story.

Very interesting way to watch and read the vidios. You read the caption on the left..slide the web site down and some video starts to play when it is in the center of your screen. Then slide down the next window and another video plays. Its a interesting way to watch a sequence of events. The vidos are shot at ground zero by fire fighters.

I didn't go to the ceremony this year because I had a TBI group to go to, got there only to find out the VA person that runs the group didn't show up. Doh! I could have went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom