8th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 12-17 Silverton, Colorado* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

+1, my worry since signing up is our little one. If we have to take a long break to calm a frazzled baby or change a diaper blowout I don't want to make the entire crew wait.
HIH is explicitly a family event. The organizers and trail leaders work hard to make sure the event is as family friendly as possible. Most of us are parents that can sympathize with baby and toddler troubles. The scenery in the San Juan Mountains is stunning no matter where you are so any time we have a break or stop the convoy, people will have plenty to see and enjoy. Never feel guilty about having to stop the train. I was leading a trail last year when we had a dog toss its cookies in the back seat. We stopped and waited patiently for humans to take care of the mess and make the dog more comfortable. With all that being said, you will still encounter a sense of urgency with most of the runs because we have so many vehicles getting through all the same obstacles and trying to stay on a schedule.

Oh, and my experience has been with little kids (mine at least, when they were little) is that off-roading is actually soothing and calming to little ones. My kids would often zonk out whenever the cruiser was moving.

HIH is explicitly a family event. The organizers and trail leaders work hard to make sure the event is as family friendly as possible. Most of us are parents that can sympathize with baby and toddler troubles. The scenery in the San Juan Mountains is stunning no matter where you are so any time we have a break or stop the convoy, people will have plenty to see and enjoy. Never feel guilty about having to stop the train. I was leading a trail last year when we had a dog toss its cookies in the back seat. We stopped and waited patiently for humans to take care of the mess and make the dog more comfortable. With all that being said, you will still encounter a sense of urgency with most of the runs because we have so many vehicles getting through all the same obstacles and trying to stay on a schedule.

Oh, and my experience has been with little kids (mine at least, when they were little) is that off-roading is actually soothing and calming to little ones. My kids would often zonk out whenever the cruiser was moving.
I have 0 qualms with stopping. I'll eat a sandwich, tie a fly on my leader, snap some selfies with the wife, take video, chat with the people around me. This is my dad-gum vacation, and I can't think of a better place to be "sitting around" than in the middle of the San Juans out of the Texas heat with no work responsibilities chipping away at my mind. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Flying into Denver on Tuesday. My rig has been sitting in @COGerding 's garage since we came back from Moab in May, can't wait for the reunion!

Getting ready to head out on Monday night. All that's left is installing my SPC uppers, changing the oil, getting it aligned, smogged, and registered.

Oh and it's over 100 degrees every day for the next month. :bang:

Haha cool that’s good to know. Thanks guys!

So another question that I don’t think has been covered or maybe I missed it but if we are in these long trail rides all day and someone needs to use the bathroom, what do you guys do in that case?

We use a quick pop up privacy tent we call the "Avocado," from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ0ZO56/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and at the time of the picture below, one of these : https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...d=1530889508&sr=1-13&keywords=portable+toilet

We've since upgraded to one of the Cleanwaste "suitcase" variety, but they both use the same style WAG bags.

This was atop Imogene trail, and all though it wasn't during one of the HIH, I am wearing a HIH shirt, so does that make it feel more authentic?

Wish I was going to make it out this year!

20170731_132935.jpg

The other small kid trick is when they start to get tired tie a the arms of a sweatshirt around their forehead, to strap their head to their carseat. that way their head isn't flopping around when they sleep, they will sleep longer and wake up much happier if you do this.

We use a quick pop up privacy tent we call the "Avocado," from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ0ZO56/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and at the time of the picture below, one of these : https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...d=1530889508&sr=1-13&keywords=portable+toilet

We've since upgraded to one of the Cleanwaste "suitcase" variety, but they both use the same style WAG bags.

This was atop Imogene trail, and all though it wasn't during one of the HIH, I am wearing a HIH shirt, so does that make it feel more authentic?

Wish I was going to make it out this year!

View attachment 1737971
Ron, that photo will be great for kid humiliation for decades to come. I need to buy an avocado, if just for the simple reason of getting my own humiliating photos of kids. I'm still smart enough to not snap a pic of the wife emerging from it though.

@bluecruiser Do you happen to have a rough headcount on the under 21 crowd showing up? Haven't been able to come up with a food to bring for the potluck from Indiana that will survive on the road for a week, but there is a local place that makes and bottles it's own Rootbeer in house. Was thinking since there will be plenty of adult beverages for the over 21 crowd, maybe it would be nice to bring something for the under 21 crowd so they don't feel left out.

The other small kid trick is when they start to get tired tie a the arms of a sweatshirt around their forehead, to strap their head to their carseat. that way their head isn't flopping around when they sleep, they will sleep longer and wake up much happier if you do this.

I use ratchet straps...REEEEAAALLLYYYY tight!

@bluecruiser Do you happen to have a rough headcount on the under 21 crowd showing up? Haven't been able to come up with a food to bring for the potluck from Indiana that will survive on the road for a week, but there is a local place that makes and bottles it's own Rootbeer in house. Was thinking since there will be plenty of adult beverages for the over 21 crowd, maybe it would be nice to bring something for the under 21 crowd so they don't feel left out.

This. Is. Genius. Local or homemade root beer, cream soda, sasparilla, or any other soda would be a fantastic idea! Maybe this can be another thing we all do on top of the local beer. I’m sure there plenty of non-beer drinkers that are over 21 that would appreciate something like this....or they can bring their own Dr. Pepper to drink ;)

Ron, that photo will be great for kid humiliation for decades to come. I need to buy an avocado, if just for the simple reason of getting my own humiliating photos of kids. I'm still smart enough to not snap a pic of the wife emerging from it though.
Who says I don't have one of those as well ?

PSA for those bringing drones

I love the visuals a drone provides but if your bringing one be extra careful this year. We are far from the 416 fire but would not want to do anything that could interrupt flight operations.

Attachments

• pict20180528-134255-0.pdf
    161.7 KB · Views: 35
Anyone knows any cool camping spot near Flagstaff? Preferably BLMs. I'll be making my way from Los Angeles, I want to stop halfway and sight seen.
I can give you some good camping spots here if they open the forest. It started raining yesterday and looks like a monsoon today so maybe it will open if we get rain. We are leaving here from Flagstaff the morning on the 11th

I have 0 qualms with stopping. I'll eat a sandwich, tie a fly on my leader, snap some selfies with the wife, take video, chat with the people around me. This is my dad-gum vacation, and I can't think of a better place to be "sitting around" than in the middle of the San Juans out of the Texas heat with no work responsibilities chipping away at my mind. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Agreed. This trip is my one true getaway vacation of the year. Not in a big hurry to get anywhere while on the trails.

I’m ready to get out of the Houston sauna.

6FC2CEBE-68E4-442A-9D96-BB4F2E00C56D.jpeg

Anyone interested in caravaning up from Denver Thursday early morning?

Love this idea!! Rough numbers 65 kids at HIH8. If you can make this happen, awesome!!!!!!!!! Appreciate it! @Higgin

Last edited:
Which way are you going?

@collk22 Ideally, I'd like to take 285 with a slight diversion at Fairplay to 9, to 24, and back to 285. Then on to 50 and 550. Have to take that little diversion at Fairplay to Hartsel via 9 to 24 to avoid the fire closure on 285.

Then if that route falls apart because of Mother Nature and CDOT I'm thinking 70>285>50>550. That said, nothing is written in stone and I'm fully open to suggestions.

Ideal route:
Google Maps

Last edited:
Anyone interested in caravaning up from Denver Thursday early morning?

What time are you thinking of heading out? We have two small kids with us, so I'm not sure how well our timing will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom