8th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 12-17 Silverton, Colorado* (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DanInDenver , I'm planning my route home and looking at stoney pass to Creede. Are you taking 520? It seems to disappear on my map but google earth shows a track. How would you rate it as far as difficulty? I'm sticking to the easier trails with my family on this trip.

Yes 520 is there the MVUM shows it from Stony Pass to Reservoir 1 but then nothing, whereas google maps has it just before that point then ending. Very confusing.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd518832.pdf

I agree with @geanes would rate it easy with caveats. Stony Pass is a climb, switch backs up and down, and weather changes conditions. That said there is a short twisty and single file road through the trees so only a small trailer if towing anything. Next of concern is the Lost Trail Creek water crossing (I'm overly cautious with water crossings). Last time I went through was a dry period and the flow was low no trouble. If we get lots of rain that weekend or the day you leave I would suggest not taking this route. Other than that I found it to be a well maintained forest service road, the river and reservoirs are gorgeous. A quiet drive with little traffic when I last drove it.

Use this Forest Service interactive map to zoom in and out for details. It also allows you to export views to PDF.
Forest Service Visitor Map

Find me at camp and I can let you know what I find on the way in.

Another cool update. HIH8 will have a brand new contributor to our already top notch raffle. Lseat will be providing a front row replacement set of leather seat covers. The color will be selectable by the winner. Nice way to freshen up the old cracked seats and put a nice dent in the cost of a full replacement.

Continue to support your HIH vendors/supporters!!

Leather Seat Covers | Custom Leather Interior | Replacement Seat Covers | Lseat.com

Took off maxtraxx for shipping. Really makes it look different.
Almost done packing.
Still missing cervezas.
She leaves for summer camp on July 5th.
A24C9F04-D92C-4E80-B7F0-26EC0DF92601.jpeg
8DF6C102-1D88-4463-BB1B-A0DA77AD30F5.jpeg

This will be my 3rd HIH, and my 1st HIH showing up as a sponsor. Super stoked to be packing a bunch of goodies from OtterBox!

See you all soon!

So it looks like @fireball and us will be hitting the Great Dunes on Monday morning and camping on the Medano Monday night. Anybody else interested in joining? Anybody got advice on a good scenic day and a half/two day trip from there to Silverton?

I'm still hoping to get my new product ready in time for the raffle!

It's been a very hectic 6 months of trying to get everything just right. The last piece is giving me the most trouble. I was set to have my supplier deliver the piece a couple weeks ago, but they ultimately couldn't meet my standards and I had to drop them and find a new one. The new one is working double time to get me the last piece on Tuesday next week. It will be cutting it close and hopefully it's what I'm expecting.

If it works out (fingers crossed) I'll be showing the product and giving a couple of them away all at the event! Maybe the first time a new product has been introduced and raffled at the HIH event?

Some last minute questions...

1.) Sorry if I missed this some where but are we able to fill water jugs somewhere at camp or will I need to bring all the water I need from home?

2.) I’m borrowing a old midland hand held cb with the small device mounted antenna. Will this work ok for what we need? I realize the range will be reduced not having a outside mounted antenna but do I really need one? We should all be fairly close together on the trail right?

@Ramathorn15 Thanks man!! Really looking forward to what you have headed to HIH8. Hope it all works out! Not sure on first time products being unveiled at HIH, but it would be cool, nonetheless, to see what you’ve come up with.

Thanks for your support. Without the folks in the community doing big things and including HIH, we would have this exceedingly popular and successful event. Hats off to you. I know @paflytyer echoes my sentiments, as well.

To say we are pumped for HIH8 would be an understatement!!

Thx

I'm still hoping to get my new product ready in time for the raffle!

It's been a very hectic 6 months of trying to get everything just right. The last piece is giving me the most trouble. I was set to have my supplier deliver the piece a couple weeks ago, but they ultimately couldn't meet my standards and I had to drop them and find a new one. The new one is working double time to get me the last piece on Tuesday next week. It will be cutting it close and hopefully it's what I'm expecting.

If it works out (fingers crossed) I'll be showing the product and giving a couple of them away all at the event! Maybe the first time a new product has been introduced and raffled at the HIH event?

Anyone planning on doing the Medano Pass to Great Dunes on maybe Monday the 9th or Tues the 10th? We are planning to and would welcome company

So it looks like @fireball and us will be hitting the Great Dunes on Monday morning and camping on the Medano Monday night. Anybody else interested in joining? Anybody got advice on a good scenic day and a half/two day trip from there to Silverton?

I'm coming out from indiana and was planning on running medano pass either Monday or Tuesday and probably camping at one of the primative sites the night I run it. It sounds like you guys are running it west we east? I plan on running it east to west into the park. What day depends on how long of a drive I can make by myself heading out. Planning on leaving Sunday 3am and plan is to make it to La Junta, Co by night fall. Either way, sounds like we will prob cross paths at some point.

On that note, does anyone know, is the Eastern side of medano pass well marked? Like if I an coming up highway 69 will I be able to find it without much issue? I haven't seen much about running it east to west down into the park.

I'm coming out from indiana and was planning on running medano pass either Monday or Tuesday and probably camping at one of the primative sites the night I run it. It sounds like you guys are running it west we east? I plan on running it east to west into the park. What day depends on how long of a drive I can make by myself heading out. Planning on leaving Sunday 3am and plan is to make it to La Junta, Co by night fall. Either way, sounds like we will prob cross paths at some point.

On that note, does anyone know, is the Eastern side of medano pass well marked? Like if I an coming up highway 69 will I be able to find it without much issue? I haven't seen much about running it east to west down into the park.

The entrance off 69 was well marked (BIG brown sign that says "Great Sand Dunes National Park - Medano Pass). 559 is the actual road number for the pass itself. If coming from the south via Walsenburg, the turn is about 9 miles north of Gardner. If coming from Westcliffe, the turn is about 24 miles south. The primitive road itself isn't well marked (no signs anywhere until the top). But, there are no turn-offs to speak of.

Medano Pass Primitive Road - Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm used to Indiana, where everything is flat and in one mile grid squares where you can't mess up, lol. I had read all through that NPS write up a little while back but it seemed to focus on running it west to east, just wanted to make sure I could find the other side of it easy enough. I'm on pre-vacation vacation right now in the Michigan UP, but man, I'm super excited about HIH! My gf keeps giving me a hard time about talking about HIH while we are here. Oops. Sorry, not sorry.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm used to Indiana, where everything is flat and in one mile grid squares where you can't mess up, lol. I had read all through that NPS write up a little while back but it seemed to focus on running it west to east, just wanted to make sure I could find the other side of it easy enough. I'm on pre-vacation vacation right now in the Michigan UP, but man, I'm super excited about HIH! My gf keeps giving me a hard time about talking about HIH while we are here. Oops. Sorry, not sorry.

Looks like I'll be running Medano East>West early morning of the 11th then heading over the flats to Creede and taking Stony Pass over to Silverton. Plans are fluid right now as my work is hitting me with some last minute to-dos :(

The entrance off 69 was well marked (BIG brown sign that says "Great Sand Dunes National Park - Medano Pass). 559 is the actual road number for the pass itself. If coming from the south via Walsenburg, the turn is about 9 miles north of Gardner. If coming from Westcliffe, the turn is about 24 miles south. The primitive road itself isn't well marked (no signs anywhere until the top). But, there are no turn-offs to speak of.

Medano Pass Primitive Road - Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)
I might camp there Tuesday or Wednesday night. I’m coming from Atlanta.

Fuel filter replaced, oil change and filter complete, diff fluids drained and refilled, MAF sensor cleaned, Throttle Body cleaned, new fuel cap installed (that was a tough one), extended sway bar links from @reevesci installed, installed new air filter and parking brake adjusted. Will do the ATF drain and fill this weekend and then pack for the trip. Can hardly contain my excitement!

More big news for HIH8.

Yet another vendor/sponsor has stepped up to provide his product to the HIH raffle (raffle is reaching legendary status).

@Kavik is donating one of his aluminum front bumpers to the raffle (his MUD thread here: Kavik 100 Series Front Bumper). His web page: Kavik Offroad

A huge thanks to all of our supporters, new and long time. Raffle night is going to be BIG!!!!!!!!!

I just talked to the Ranger and 69 is closed right now because of the fires

Anyone riding out from Bama, Miss, Georgia or Tenn??

We’re hitting the road this Saturday out of Bama and running 20 West through Amarillo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom