8th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 12-17 Silverton, Colorado* (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For people who have attended with children; how do you approach the risk management of taking your kids on something like Black Bear, where the likelihood of a bad event occurring are low, but the consequences of the event can be very high?

As I'm hoping to attend HIH this year with my family, I've been having a lot of thoughts about what it means to wheel with little ones along for the ride and would value any input from people who've had similar thoughts. Haven't wheeled much since we started a family, and when we've gone out it's been pretty low-stakes / non-technical driving on the front range.

This is really a great question. But first I would ask how you mitigate risk with your kids on a day to day basis and I would challenge what I believe is your assumption that off-road driving poses a greater risk to you and your family.

Last year I took my wife and my son with me on Black Bear. It was an amazing trip and was one of the many highlights of the trip. Sure looking down in to Teluride provided a pucker factor that you may not experience driving on the freeway, but if you are careful and follow both your gut and your spotter it is no more dangerous (and in my opinion less) than driving on the freeway. I have personally had friends who have died in car accidents and know of many more... I do not know of anyone from my circle that has ever been severely injured or killed in an off-roading accident which may be why that is not some thing that I am as concerned about.

Personally I had a much greater fear for my son’s safety while looking down from the Island in the Sky while he was standing next to me. (My incredible fear of heights). In the car I feel like I have a greater control over my surroundings than I did while watching him run and play near the shear drop offs that are protected by fence! AND that feeling is utterly eclipsed by the the feeling and worry that I have every day with my wife and child driving on the freeway to and from work and school. But that is why our mom mobile is the LC. It is probably one of the safest vehicles for my family to ride in... but bad things can always happen at at the end of the day I have no control over that which scares me the most!

These are your kiddos and you will make the right decision for them because that is your job as a parent. And obviously you are a good one since you are even posing this question and searching for answers. Good Parenting right here!!!

This is really a great question. But first I would ask how you mitigate risk with your kids on a day to day basis and I would challenge what I believe is your assumption that off-road driving poses a greater risk to you and your family.

Last year I took my wife and my son with me on Black Bear. It was an amazing trip and was one of the many highlights of the trip. Sure looking down in to Teluride provided a pucker factor that you may not experience driving on the freeway, but if you are careful and follow both your gut and your spotter it is no more dangerous (and in my opinion less) than driving on the freeway. I have personally had friends who have died in car accidents and know of many more... I do not know of anyone from my circle that has ever been severely injured or killed in an off-roading accident which may be why that is not some thing that I am as concerned about.

Personally I had a much greater fear for my son’s safety while looking down from the Island in the Sky while he was standing next to me. (My incredible fear of heights). In the car I feel like I have a greater control over my surroundings than I did while watching him run and play near the shear drop offs that are protected by fence! AND that feeling is utterly eclipsed by the the feeling and worry that I have every day with my wife and child driving on the freeway to and from work and school. But that is why our mom mobile is the LC. It is probably one of the safest vehicles for my family to ride in... but bad things can always happen at at the end of the day I have no control over that which scares me the most!

These are your kiddos and you will make the right decision for them because that is your job as a parent. And obviously you are a good one since you are even posing this question and searching for answers. Good Parenting right here!!!

Many overlooks above the Island in the Sky are downright TERRIFYING if you are a little sensitive to heights. I don't like heights when I'm unrestrained, but never felt that way in a car. I think Black bear will put that to the test for me.

For people who have attended with children; how do you approach the risk management of taking your kids on something like Black Bear, where the likelihood of a bad event occurring are low, but the consequences of the event can be very high?

As I'm hoping to attend HIH this year with my family, I've been having a lot of thoughts about what it means to wheel with little ones along for the ride and would value any input from people who've had similar thoughts. Haven't wheeled much since we started a family, and when we've gone out it's been pretty low-stakes / non-technical driving on the front range.

When I first started wheeling my kids were toddlers and I had similar concerns. My first time on Black Bear I was driving a stock FJ60 and my kids were ~2 and 3 years old. I was so nervous as we started the descent into Telluride that I told my wife and kids to get out and walk behind the vehicle on the really 'scary' parts because if I died the kids needed mom to raise them. Fast forward 13 years and now I realize they were probably in more danger walking down slick, loose rocks than they were if they'd stayed in the Cruiser. None of the three were particularly graceful and I can easily imagine one of them slipping, tripping, falling and breaking a wrist, hitting their head or even tumbling down a hill.

I feel like the risk on the trails is about the same, or less than, the risk you take doing anything else. It’s just more apparent.

I agree with this. The risks I take driving in Austin traffic are SIGNIFICANTLY greater than anything I've ever experienced on a trail. I'd take Black Bear in the snow over a sunny day driving in Austin traffic. Just sayin'

Hello,

I am a newbie to this community and have never really gone off road with my 2004 100 series despite owning it since new.
Full Disclosure: I am 61 year old podiatric surgeon living here in the flatlands of the Midwest. I have always been fascinated with the prodigious capability, reliability, and the utility of the Land Cruiser, but have never had an outlet to learn the skills of this magnificent vehicle. This 100sinthehills sounds extraordinary, but I would like the opinions of this community. Is my completely stock vehicle up for the trip? I read the suggestion of different tires, but I wouldn't know what to look for. Is my Costco tire center a real source?? What are other things need to be addressed? Are there some type of shops out there that outfit vehicles? Are there specialty shops in Colorado that have experience in fitting these vehicles with the appropriate gear? I thought that I might leave early and get the vehicle prepped before the rendezvous. On the other hand, perhaps I could learn a lot from you folks at the event and be better prepared next year.

Essentially, I'm just interested in a safe and enjoyable experience with the vehicle, and to make new friends in this incredibly awesome country of ours!

I would be grateful for your comments and suggestions.

Larry

Larry, for what it's worth I went last year to HIH7 with my 2003 and it was my very first time off road. My vehicle was bone stock before having 5 BFG KO2's installed (275/70R18 - 33" tire that still fits in the spare) at my Toyota dealer (Costco would be fine), removed the running boards, bought an ARB air down tool and a basic CB and antenna from Amazon. That's it. I did some other preventive maintenance to make sure I could get out there and back from Boston and the LC was awesome. You will be amazed at how well your stock '04 LC with BFG KO2's will do in the San Juans. @CreasyBear showed me how to use my air down tool (had no clue) and @Dirt Dog sacrificed his inverter to get my CB powered up. The trails and scenery are awesome, but it's all about the people at 100's in the Hills. Plus if you have any trouble @aaronrules has every tool and the kitchen sink in his KISS drawers :)

My strong suggestion to manage this sort of risk is to plant yourself right behind the trail leader if you're nervous about any of the trails. Being my first time, I was 2nd in line going down Black Bear and it made me a lot more confident with my 12 year old daughter with me. I can't say enough about the trail leaders - In one of the pucker moments heading down into Telluride, I asked my daughter how she was doing and when I didn't get a response I looked over to find her fast asleep so I guess it wasn't that bad :)

I appreciate all the input, anecdotes and experiences. It’s reassuring to know that we won’t get side eyes if we hit the trails with the kids. This is the exact type of event I want to bring the family to; because of the community and experience of the participants .

Hope we can get registered!

I appreciate all the input, anecdotes and experiences. It’s reassuring to know that we won’t get side eyes if we hit the trails with the kids. This is the exact type of event I want to bring the family to; because of the community and experience of the participants .

Hope we can get registered!

(After typing all of this realized it may be in the wrong Forum. Sorry, please move if needed)

We made the drive out last year from KY and finished our trip in Silverton at HIH. We started in SD, WY, and Northern CO.

This year it looks like we'll leave KY on Sunday and have a few days before registration for HIH on Thursday. Then also have a a few days on the tail end of the trip from Tuesday until we need to be back home on Sunday, or so.

We'll be pulling our small pop up camper which is capable of getting into some tight sites but not off road ready. I'd like to get somewhere, set up base camp, and day trip from there. Traveling with my wife and 8 year old daughter.

This year plan on staying in SW CO. Wife would like to see Durango, Mesa Verde. I was in Mesa Verde 20 years ago and remember it being pretty great but not sure you need more than a day. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend a good area to stay Monday, Tues, and Wed night pre-HIH and then Tues-Fri afterwards? Not opposed to driving a little further West, but already have a 22 hour drive so don't want to go too far.

Any insight on Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Drove by it twice last year and didn't have time to stop. Looks pretty cool but not very large.

Great Sand Dunes cool? Sort of on our way.

Also, because of the pop up, not looking to move every night. Not a total pain to set up but like to stay places at least 2 nights.

Boondocking, dispersed camping, is fine. Could use a hookup a couple of nights but may consider an additional battery or small generator for recharging this year.

All of this assumes we get a spot. Fingers crossed.

Black Canyon is good. Do not miss Great Sand Dunes.

Black Canyon is maybe the most under-rated NP in the US, really a hidden gem. Millions of people drive by it every year headed to ski resorts and never stop to see. I've been to most of the Colorado/Utah/AZ/NM Parks and Black Canyon blows them all away in my opinion. You will find that I'm in the minority on this haha!

Great Sand Dunes is also amazing, but unfortunately wit the pop up you probably won't be able to do Medano Creek Pass. Worth the trip nonetheless.

Mesa Verde is a 1-day. Much more of a historical site than anything, but absolutely worth the day!

I'll hopefully be doing a similar trip from Indiana for HIH, but coming back Tues night/weds. I don't have a whole lot to ad except Black Canyon of the Gunnison was worth the drive when I was out in Colorado last summer. You are right though, as far as National Parks go, its on the small side, but some incredible views. If you do just the main visitor side of the canyon, its probably a half day to see about everything. If you go to the other side of the canyon, its a good additional half day or more, as it takes quite a while to drive around to that side. We didn't go back into the park on that side, but did drive around to where the other side entrance is and even the drive over there was awesome! Wish we had more time to enter the park over there, but we had a lot we wanted to see and not a whole lot of time. I'm pretty sure the non-main side it dirt/gravel roads only and very few visitors, altho when we went in early July last year, there were not a whole lot of people on the main side either. We skipped out on Great Sand Dunes NP, even drove within 20 miles of it, and now I regret it. I've since heard its very good also.

Great Sand Dunes is very cool, but I would say while its physically larger than black canyon, there's ultimately only one thing to see there Which is Medano Creek and the front range of the dunes. If you are up to climb to the high dune I highly recommend it. It is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. But it was also maybe THE most physically challenging thing I've done in my life. Doing both really wouldn't be too challenging with your time frame I don't think.

I would also recommend Gunninson. We spent a couple days there a few years ago and plan to return. Really depends on what you are looking to do as how much time to spend there. We spent a day hiking and could have done another day. We also spent a day down by the river which was one of the most enjoyable days we had. We ended up eating both lunch and dinner down there. When we were there our kids were 3 and 4 and we were still able to enjoy it, it really is highly under rated (which is why I like it so much not crowded) and we were coming home from Utah were we did Arches, Moab, and Canyonlands. Was nice to get out of the heat and away from the crowds.

So, this isn't way out of the way, but I highly recommend Ridgway Colorado for a day. It's about 10-15 minutes north of Ouray. I stayed here for 3 nights with my wife on our honeymoon and it was one of the best places I have been in SW CO. There are 2 things that I feel like are can't misses. Grab breakfast at Kate's Place. I love eating at small diners for breakfast, (who doesn't), but this place was probably the best I have ever eaten at in my life. Delicious food, local ingredients, (try the lavender honey), big plates, great coffee. The second thing is a basement on the side of a building called "billings artwork". It's looks like nothing, but it's actually where they make the grammy's. I walked in there, no tour, no frills, just a workshop, but the guy was so great to talk to. He had some pretty great stories. He has memorabilia, pictures on the wall signed by artists. My wife even took a picture with the Grammy Taylor Swift dropped and broke. There is also the "True Grit" cafe. This is where the original John Wayne TG was shot. It wasn't something we expected when we got there, but ended up being a really fun experience because it was such a hidden thing.

Last edited:
@paflytyer @bluecruiser
Just so I've got things straight in my head, do we register with the basic info (names, # in party, meal tickets, shirts, etc) this Sunday and then we take care of trail selections at a later date?

@paflytyer @bluecruiser

I know you guys are always thinking and working on ways to make this amazing event even better. One suggestion I have is to add the driver's home town, year of rig and LC or LX, and how many years they've attended HIH on the name tags (color coded tags for first timer to 8th year would be epic, but probably a nightmare logistically). This info on the tags would be great for opening night at the Wyman Hotel. Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom