8's or 10's for SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been doing some searchin, not sure if i should run 8 or 10 inch rims with new soa, i would like a wider stance but perfer 8 inch wheels. what do you huys prefer on your soa. 8 inch with 2.5 backspcing? some pics too if you got em thanks. :cheers: oh yeah im gonna go with 4x4 labs steering.

what tires? 12.5? 14.5? height? bias? radial? % road versus % offroad? daily? trailer queen?

oops, 35 12.50, 20% street and 80% offroad, trails, rocks. prob mud terrain or pro comps.

8" rims for bead retention, 2.5 or 3 backspacing for a little added width....I like the 2" on mine. (actually, 1.5" spacers with 3.5" rims, 2" equivalent)

ProCraps....the most useless pathetic sidewalls of any tire made...friend of mine has trashed 3 on her CJ7....in a year........even the BFG is better....

I have a SOA 40 w/ rear 55 springs etc. I have 10" steelies with 35/12.50's and usually air down to like 12 or 15 PSI for trails in the Pacific Northwest. Obviously the 10" rims gives me a wider stance. I have heard a lot of pro and con on the 8" vs 10" rim debate. But, so far I have zero problems running on the wider rims. I don't do a lot of hardcore rock crawling, but enjoy the tight mixture of off camber rutted Washington trails that feature lots of trees, roots, mud, slop and rocks... In the end I think building a rig is all about matching the components to the LOCAL conditions: what works on the baddest stuff on the Rubicon is probably overkill for Florida for instance...

Max

I got a deal on rims (near free for 10" aluminum bead locks) but prefer 8" in your case.

I would recommend an interco of some kind - 35-37" and 12.50-14.50. A buddy of mine is running 13.50 wide on an 8 inch rim....TOTAL hub protection. Plus his rims see little rock rash because they are tucked in so well.

I have a 10 inch rim with a 4" back spacing. They look beefey - yet still cruiserish. A 3 or 3.5 would be better, but oh well.

HTH,

Ragman - GET INTERCO!

I ran 35 12.5 BFG MTs on 10 inch steelies with 3 or 3.5 backspacing and I thought it worked and looked the best, at least for 35's. I don't really consider that really a wide stance though, not like my buddy with like 12 or 14 in wide swampers on what seem like 14" wide wheels. Seems like a 12.5" tire on an 8" rim is pushing it, 10" is a bit closer. JMO

Some pics for reference ;)
vbgarage.php.jpg
vbgarage4.php.jpg
vbgarage3.php.jpg

8" rim holds a bead way better than a 10" with 35x12.5 MTRs. That's for non-beadlocks. Don't know if it matters much with beadlocks, prolly just whether or not you like a wider look.

My $0.02

i also ran 33x12.5 and 35x12.5 on 8 inch rim no problem here .but when i went to 38.5 swampers i went for the 10 inch rim . if ya ever think you are going to go fatter tire i would buy the 10 inch

15X10 steelies w/ 2" BS
36x14.50 tires

I like the width but i would get 8" wheels and some DIY beadlocks (about 9" wide) if i were to do it again because 10" wheels w/ beadlocks are a little wide.
upper2_1.JPG
HOME.JPG

my expierences with 36/12.5 swampers on 8" rims w/2"BS has been good. typically run around 10PSI and no blown bead so far.
on my pig of course, not a 40

I started with 35 x 12:50 MTR's with my SOA on 8" rims... on my pig as well but I felt a little top heavy/tipsy (although I really could have been tipsy : ) so then I went to 10" rims on 36 x 12:50 SS SX and it works well. I think I am going to go back to the 8" steelies, DIY Beadlocks and 1" spacers on the 36" next and give it a go... looking for just a but more stability and I think this proposed combo will get it done. HTH!

i prefer 8's, but i like a little roundness to protect the rim and hub.

so will 15x8 with backspacing of 2.5 fit well and give a bit more wider stance? i think i found some i like,

If you are running GM disk brakes in the rear a 2.5 BS Reversed rim will not clear the caliper. At least they would not clear mine. They clear the front great though.

I am running 36X13.5x15 bias Iroks on a 15x8 3.75BS rim. If I lose a bead I will be very surprised. I am running 1.25" spacers in the front which gives me an overall BS of 2.5"

8 inchers will give you a pretty narrow stance for a spring over. I have 35 12.50 bfg mud terrains on 10 inch eagle wheels and that is as narrow as I would want to be, and I only have 4in springs under axle...

camcruiser13 said:
so will 15x8 with backspacing of 2.5 fit well and give a bit more wider stance? i think i found some i like,
just make sure tire scrub isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom