8mpg what to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In stop start driving round town I get about 20 to the gallon, 28 on a run on 33" tires, full roof rack and winch bumper. I am in the UK with a manual diesel though;p mind you it costs £1.41 a litre here. ($10.45 a gallon):mad:

You also presumably use a larger 'imperial' gallon.

My bone stock LX450 (1997) got 15mpg (US gallons) on the highway drive from Albuquerque to Las Cruces when I first bought it. My next tank made up entirely of 3 mile commutes around town netted me 14mpg. Most of this is at 4000-5000 feet. I don't know how much elevation impacts economy.

Keep in mind that larger tires also mean your odometer is off, so if you use that to calculate mpg it will make it seem worse.

Geof

Yup. Driving 2 miles to work sucks. I've been having to do the same to my company shop recently. Stupid housing association doesn't like my work truck parked next to my house... (rant rant rant) so I drive my '93 2 miles to where I switch out. Mileage is TERRIBLE doing this, I hate to think of all the extra wear and tear the engine and tranny receive with such short trips.

The trans feels fine but let's say it may be an issue. What speeds do you guys run compared to rpm I know it will vary with road condition but on a somewhat flat straight away I'm at 2000 rpms running around 50-55 mph not considering tires so maybe as fast as 60

Yes tat is for an imperial gallon, I realized my mistake when I did the off topic milk equation so I corrected it for that. Still we are getting ripped off by our government as 76% of our fuel cost is tax, and set to rise.:mad:

I don't love the idea of getting such bad MPG either, but for a 3FE 80, as others have said, that is about right. The FZJ's seem to be slightly better on fuel, or at least our two are better than my '91 FJ80.

I have the same deal, 2 mile all stop and go commute in a 6000 lb. truck = awful mileage. Winter doesn't help, and either does the 10% ethanol fuel most of us are forced to use. With the 3FE, I get about 200 miles to a tank in these conditions too.

As has been said, we choose to drive these trucks for other reasons.

Well when i looks like i will upgrade to an 80 i won't notice as my FJ has the same MPG's :lol:... i've notice like others once your warmed up your mpgs will go up and a 2 mile will not do that

i tend to buy milk in 4 pint containers, but by my math and using £1 =$1.61 a us gallon of milk is about $3.40

I thought everyone in Yorkshire had their own cow?

Changing to 5.29 gears increased my mileage about 4 MPG, now I'm about 14-15 average. This is the only mod that has ever increased MPG for me, every other one dropped it (armor, 35's, etc.). I consider the gears "best bang for the buck" mod that I've done, period.:D

I just averaged 17 MPG taking my daughter back to college. 340 miles+ on a full tank. Not bad.

My winter math has been easy, I get a nice round 10 with a 2 mile commute 4 days. I dont leave 2nd gear to get down the hill and back up. 285 studless snows. I usually let it warm for more than needed in the a.m. Hey, if I wanted to freeze my ass off I'd ride my bike in the winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom